Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sincerest Apologies, Readers... And My Fond Memories of Rhodes

As I was perusing the overwhelming amount of adorable merchandise at Nordstrom Rack this morning, I realized I had not written in disappointingly long time. What triggered the neurons in my brain to connect the two seemingly unrelated subjects, I have no clue. I am glad though, for my erractic synapses; I love to write, and a busy schedule truely should not prevent it.

Not only a busy schedule, but the events since when I have stopped writing. I left you hanging in the Syrian desert, alone with the friendly Bedouins, whom I am certain have shown you nothing but hospitality. I have very fond memories of my time with them, but my journey didn't end there. After a few days of busses (more lengthy bus rides that any person should have to endure in their lifetime), I made my way up the Turkish Mediterranean coast, and took a ferry to the historical Greek Island of Rhodes.



It's worth a mention that I stopped in Antalya and Marmaris for a night each during this coastline route. I didn't take any pictures, due to exhaustion, but enjoyed both port cities warm atmosphere and ever-friendly locals. Antalya is Turkey's party town, of which the Turks will ramble on about if given the chance. It was lovely.

Marmaris was a cutesy tourist haven. Most Mediterranean cruise ships will make a quick stop here or Kayseri, further south on the coast. I found a sweet (cheap!) hotel near the harbor, where I watched the sunset before falling asleep.

Just to give you a picture of how exhausted I truely was, I showed up a day early to take the ferry to Rhodes. If you know me, you know how organized and precisce I am with travel; the fact that I clearly had no idea of the day is testimony to how hard I had been pushing myself in my travels. Luckily, it was low season then, and it was not a problem to switch the date. Phew.

The ferry, a large boat with a wide indoor cabin, lasted two hours. It was amazing to look out over the sea, little islands popping up unexpectedly, and others resting quietly in the distance. I would take 4 more ferries while in Greece, all different, but all spectacular.

Stepping onto Rhodes, I knew that I had stepped into another world. The castle walls encircle the Old Town, making for a very magical entry into the port.


Inside the walls, it was tourist mahem.

The stories of the Knights of Rhodes is what makes this island so intruiging. The Knights (aka the Knights Hospitaller) were a Christian organization acting as a religious military order, though originally founded to aid poor or sick pilgrims to the Holy Land. There was a House for each language spoken, each with it's own crest. Ipoton Street, or the Street of the Knights was particularly cool with every house represented along this cobblestone passage.

I even saw a real Knight still lurking around the area...

After wandering, I consulted my Lonely Planet for lunch. Places I had passed seemed a bit pricey and generic, which my LP confirmed. However, it indicated that there was a great family place off the beaten path in the Jewish Quarter. I followed instructions, and, indeed far off the beaten path, emerged an adorable little restaurant. No one seemed to be in, but, after calling, a tiny little man with a gigantic smile appeared and ushered me to a garden table with excitement. He treated me to a serving, of Ouzo (the equivalent to the licorice-flavored liquor that the Turks love - Raki), and suggestions for a meal. As he cooked, he told me a bit about himself - he had started this restaurant 40 years ago, and had just passed it onto his son. he was a great lunch companion, and the keftedakia, or meat balls, were fantastic.


I headed back to the harbor to enjoy the beach and settle my stomach.


I admired greek camouflage - can you see the animal in this picture?
After a pleasant afternoon, I caught a ferry to the island of Santorini - but that's a story for another day! And that day will come sooner than 3 months from now, I promise:)

No comments: