Tuesday, January 5, 2010

"Friends are God's way of taking care of us."

So, I have been so lucky in my life to meet some amazing people: people that have shown me so much kindness, been so supportive, and have pushed me to be and do better. Sure, I've had my share of conflicts, but I'd say, overall, I've been  so incredibly lucky in my friendships.

I hadn't heard from Stephanie, an awesome English girl, and my BFF from my China days, in awhile. She was back in England, working, and we had been doing well keeping in touch. I sent a couple postcards, and a nice long letter with a Christmas gift, and hadn't heard from her. I thought this was odd...

...until last night, when I opened up Facebook, and, at the top of my News Feed, she announced, in her status, that she was leaving for Istanbul in 20 days. I gasped, and stared at it in disbelief, and then read her message to me. She applied to the same school I'll be working at, and got the job. She didn't want to risk letting the cat out of the bag, explaining the distance. After running around my house, tearfully exclaiming the good news to my family, I called her. She told me that I couldn't just come to Europe without her seeing me. What an awesome friend!

Not that I hadn't been excited about Istanbul before. But knowing that you get to be with an old friend again, well, that's just spectacular. And my friends are the best friends a girl could ask for.

2 comments:

SnapScrapRepeat said...

love the new "view" on your blog! Please tell me about it!

I'm so happy for your plans for Istanbul! How long will this adventure be?

Gloria Chavira said...

that is very sweet. istanbul, huh? wow amy your trekking the world and teaching english. absolutely beautiful. i think i am the only one in our group who does not teach abroad. i actually volunteer teaching english in a local library.

cheers friend.