Friday, January 29, 2010

My New Life -Turkey Style

It's about time for an update, and, boy, are you in for it! Istanbul has been great thus far. Having been here for exactly two weeks now, I can say for certain that I will enjoy the coming 6 months immensely.

Istanbul is colorful and vibrant, a fact obvious even in the depressing and isloating weather we've been experiencing. Today is the first sunny day we've had since I've arrived - perhaps the cause of the fantastic mood I'm in at the moment. This may also be due to me finding an apartment, which I've just moved into. I'll be living with two great guys, John (Canadian), and Evan (American). They are really great, and I'm sure we'll get along well together.

I have been living, and will continue to live, in the area called Taksim. This is the center of all things modern in Istanbul, though still retaining it's character in old european architecture and vibrant street markets. Istiklal, a famous pedestrian street, is the place to be, lined with everything from Mango and Starbucks to traditional Turkish eateries. A vast network of winding side streets hide tiny boutiques and treasures from the main traffic on Istiklal, a maze through which I love to walk aimlessly.

Turkish culture is fascinating - loud, friendly, and in your face. The people can both win your heart in an instant, and drive you crazy: the next. A parade of them will bump into you repeatedly without a "Pardon!", but the next minute someone will be treating you to tea and chit-chat in a quaint cafe out of pure kindness and generosity. As for the food, eh... it is alright, dominated by tasty wraps and abundant Doner sandwiches filled with meat and a few veggies. The rest of the cuisine suffers from an odd abundance of yogurt, which the Turks seem to regard as fair game for sauce-substitue over pasta, meat, and a bevvy of other nameless things.

My work space is great. I'm currently working 31 hours - spread over 7 days. We had a couple people quit unexpectedly (one of which who rode home with me, laughing and joking, with an excited "See you tomorrow!", only to phone immediately after we parted to resign. Needless to say, I've spent some time re-evaluating my  people skills!), so I am helping out a bit. Also, I've spent a bit too much money out of my first month nest egg, both on the startup cost of the apartment, and the ridiculous gym fee. Yikes, gyms are expensive here!

Anyhow, more to come about my life in Istanbul. Enjoy the day, for this life is great!

1 comment:

SnapScrapRepeat said...

sounds exciting, BUT i am DYING to SEE what you are talking about!!