Sunday, June 15, 2008

Coffee Surprise and Unlikely Friendships

The past few days have been quite nice for a change! Friday, I was planning to take Arthur (5) to school, go running, and follow the same routine that I’ve taken to these past weeks. However, to my surprise, Margarette invited me to have breakfast with her after dropping the kids off, and then to meet her friend who wanted to help me with my French.

Really, there is nothing like a spontaneous change in plans that fill me up with energy and life. After dropping off the kids, we parked in downtown Langy and shopped together around the market. It was really nice! Margarette bought some fresh rhubarb from a vendor, then some fresh pain and a few croissants from a baker. Then, we headed back to her house.

She lived very near the centre ville, and her house was a nice sized place. She had a beautiful garden out back, where she gardened in her free time, and did an excellent job of it. In her small kitchen, she pulled a table out from the wall, and I sat with her amicable husband and talked. We all enjoyed coffee and my first French croissant. We discussed politics, music, and the barrier between rich and “poor” in France. She brought this up, not I. She talked about how she had worked for the family for so long, and still she was not considered part of it. She had brought the kids over one time, and the parents were furious when they found out. They did not want their kids mixing with “that kind” of people. I couldn’t believe my ears. It was as if everything I was feeling was justified and made sense. Since this conversation, I have been much more at ease with my situation.

After breakfast, Margarette and I headed over to the other side of town to meet with her friend, Marie-Lucie. Marie lived also in a nice house with a beautiful garden. She was in her 70s, and could speak English. We decided that what I really needed was to work on my French conversation. We conversed for about 2 hours, discussing family, future plans, past ventures, likes and dislikes, and current affairs. In her small living room filled with books and grandmother-ly trinkets, I felt so happy, for the first time here. Margarette had show me such great kindness, and there was no way that I could really express this to her. I left Marie’s house, promising to meet on Thursday for another lesson.

Then I headed off in search of a gym. I had a coupon for Curves and vague directions given by Arnaud. Where Curves was supposed to be, there was nothing, but, by fortunate accident, I discovered another gym, called Aqua Loft. After obtaining the price and getting a tour of the premises by a un homme très attirant, I headed to the other gym at Val D’Europe, the big shopping mall, only to find the price double than Aqua Loft. It had better hours, new and more numerous equipment, but 500 euros for 3 months? I don’t think so. Tomorrow, I’m going to join the other gym. Very excited!

Saturday, the kids had a fête à l’école all day. I had the house to myself, again. I couldn’t take the car anywhere, because the family had forgotten to fill it up with gas (and I most certainly am not filling it up!). I lounged around, watched Rocky II and Whose Line on my computer. At 7:30, I headed over to Margarette’s house, as she had invited me to a concert. At first, I was not going to go. I felt like a failure; I know no people my age to hang out with or go out with at night. However, I realized that it doesn’t really matter. Friendships across the ages are very special in their own way. I enjoyed the choir concert immensely, clapping along with the English songs, and singing silently with a nice rendition of “Seasons of Love”. All in all, I was very glad that I went, and very glad to have Margarette as a loving companion. Along with your health, friends and family are one thing that you don’t know the true value of until you lose them.

Tuesday I’m meeting another au pair in Paris for lunch, so we’ll see how that goes! I’m glad that I am finally making some contact with other people. I just wish that this family had taken some more initiative in this matter. Oh well, I am only here for 10 weeks more.

No comments: