Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lazy Bones: Recapping the week of 2-19

I sincerely apologize, both to dedicated readers (of whom I know there are a hefty amount) and to myself, for being hands down lazy in the blog department. In my defense, however, I have been quite the busy little bee. 

The week of 2/19 was one dedicated to exploring the parts of Jinan that had been neglected these long months. There are actually a few tourist attractions in the city; a few friends and I decided it was about time that we experienced them for ourselves. 

Thousand Buddha Mountain (Qian Fo Shan) is a famous mountain in Jinan. It is an easy climb, and offers a nice (though smoggy) view of the city. Andy, George, Rob, Stephanie, and I had a great day together here.
We found a bug vendor, and decided to eat what we thought were silk worms. 
After seeing a facebook photo of us eating these insects, a chinese teacher commented:
"They were cicada pupas.It is said that they are very nutritious.One cicada pupa equals one egg.I used to seek them under the trees when I was very young and my mom'd deep fry them for me. Not bad."
We took the slide down- a speedy, exhilirating experience!

The Botannical Gardens was another attraction we checked off our lists this week. Carnival rides, row boats, ice cream, and relaxing in a rare green patch in Jinan: who could ask for more on this sunny day in China?

No comments: