Saturday, February 7, 2009

Beijing, the Second Time Around

Though I probably should have stayed home and rested after my wonderful yet taxing trip to Chengdu, Monday morning I got up ridiculously early once again to make my way with Stephanie and her visiting mother to Beijing for the week.

Steph's mom had been in China for just over a week at this point. Stephanie had toted her to a handful of exotic locations around China, making Beijing her last stop before returning home. Having heard so much about this woman, I was pleased to discover that she was, in fact, as awesome as Steph had made her out to be. We chatted incessantly on the train ride into the capital, crouched once again in a corner in the hallway sans assigned seats.

Our first stop was Kro's nest, a famous pizza place, followed by the the Bird's Nest, aka the Olympic Stadium. It was impressive, though the fog hindered the effect. 
Itching to do some shopping, we guided Mama to Silk Street, a massive market. Demonstrating our expert haggling skills, Stephanie and I made some drastic purchases. That night, utterly exhausted, we grabbed some food from the Seven Eleven close to where we were staying. Shockingly, this chinese food was some of the best I've ever had in China! Who'da thunk it?

The next day we slept in a bit, and headed around noon to Tianamen Square and the Forbidden City. Numerous photos were taken of us, but we managed to get a few ourselves.
Later in the afternoon, We toured 2 of the nearby parks. Jingshan Park was first on our list; it sported a man made hill upon which one can view the entire Forbidden City. Not only did we enjoy the view, but Steph's mom dressed up in traditional Chinese clothes as well. Hysterical! Beihai Park was next, and was just as beautiful as the first. People skated, biked, and sled across the lake, which was extremely dangerous given the nice weather, but great to watch.

That night, Steph and I satisfied an overwhelming urge to dance the night away.  In matching dresses, we took over the town.
The next day, while Steph and her mother headed to the great wall, I decided to save some money and stay home. I wandered the streets for a time, my favorite thing to do in a new city. You never learn more about a place than by walking around aimlessly. I grabbed some delicious cuisine from the Seven Eleven for lunch, and spent the afternoon reading and resting. It was just want I needed. That night, we headed to get some fish and chips from a local eatery. What a great time!
Now, a long weekend of work, and some well deserved rest time to follow.

2 comments:

SnapScrapRepeat said...

cool. better take the cape off and rest up. Soak it all in - time is starting to FLY, i bet.

Anonymous said...

sounds like fun. I'm glad you got to see it again. I love you, mom