Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Day in Harajuku


I've wanted to see Harajuku for a long time, ever since Gwen Stefani made her love for this area public in her song, 'Harajuku Girls'. The fashion is supposed to be wild, the atmosphere eclectic and artsy. I was not dissappointed when I finally got to go and see for myself.

The area was dominated by shopping. From huge chain stores like Gap and Forever 21 to tiny boutiques, THIS was a shoppers paradise. As for me, I preferred the quirky Takeshita street, crowded by funky pedestrians and boutiques alike.


(I LOVED the rabbit mannequins!)

(A whole in the wall coffee place... or should I say stuck in the median?)

Not only does Harajuku have everything a shopper can ask for, it's also home to a breathtaking park. We walked around for a bit, side by side with kimono-clad ladies and tourists alike. We caught a wedding procession too, which was a sight to see.









Then, we made our way to an art gallery - full of crazy and unique art. There, we found a japanese pancake house, and tried oconomiyaki (a Japanese pancake). You're given a bowl layered neatly with batter, an egg, veggies, crispy rice, and seafood. You mix it together for a minute, and then pour onto the heated griddle in the center of your table.


Then, after five minutes, you flip. Wait another five minutes, and cook and egg beside the pancake.


Then, you've got to put the egg on top of the pancake (easier said than done!) and flip again for one minute. Good food, and great fun!




No comments: