Friday, April 16, 2010

Bodrum - Formerly Known as Halicarnassus

After an irritating, idiotic, yet undeniably entertaining airport skirmish that resulted in my baggage being sent to Bodrum without me, I arrived a day later than planned to this coastal Aegean city. And yes, I reconnected with my trusty backpack, which had been safeguarded the previous night in a very secure location: propped up outside a door. Thank goodness I had removed all of my valuables beforehand.

I caught the handy Havas bus into central Bodrum, and quickly found my hostel. However, no one was in, and, after knocking on a few doors and calling for someone, anyone, to no avail, I decided to check in somewhere else. On the same street there were two hotels. One was cheaper, and run by a very kind, and very large, family: thus, my new accommodation.

After a quick nap, I tossed my camera bag over my shoulder, and headed out to explore the town. It’s a coastal port city, hence the seashore was cluttered with weathered fishing boats and luxury yachts alike. There was a sweet breeze blowing in off the sea, and the locals were friendly and relaxed.  I wandered for a bit around the covered streets, enjoying the architecture – there is a law restricting the height of the buildings, creating an idyllic atmosphere with the uniform whitewashed buildings.
 

Then, I visited St. Peter’s Castle. How cool! There were a myriad of rooms, including a fascinating torture chamber. It was very well preserved, and, situated next to a crystal sea, was çok güzel, as my Turkish friends say.








There was a peacock in one of the courtyards.

He later made a sneaky getaway to the chapel…
…where he became aware of a female peacock, and was so struck by her presence that he exposed himself! 



Then, I walked along the main boulevard to the beach. More great views… and I took in some much needed sun.






After this, I visited on the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World: The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus. Bodrum, believe it or not, was once the ancient city of Halicarnassus. There are a few ruins, including the above castle, lying about, but most have been destroyed. The Mausoleum, a huge tomb built to honor the King Mausoleus, was destroyed by the knights of Rhodes, intending to fortify St. Peters Castle against the invading Byzantines. There’s not much left of it now, but it was an interesting exhibit, with lovely gardens. 


I went out for a quick drink with my new friend Mujdat that night. He was born in France, to Turkish parents, and lived there until he was 19, His parents apparently declined to enroll him for dual citizenship, staying loyal to Turkey, so, after graduating high school, he had to leave. He can stay for up to six months in France now, but cannot work. An interesting predicament!

3 comments:

SnapScrapRepeat said...

gorgeous landscapes...but pass the camera to your new friend! I wanna see some AMY IN TURKEY!!

whitehawk said...

amy, you are like marco polo. nice photos but where is your photos?

ann Baker said...

You impress the beejebus out of me!!!