Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Fethiye & Ölüdeniz

I arrived late to Fethiye, but woke early due to excitement. Why was I excited? Well, for one thing, I was in Fethiye. For another, I could run here! I took a leisurely jog around the harbor.

Fethiye is a charming, sleepy port city. Covered streets and quaint cafes waited patiently in the town. Yachts and small fishing boats crowded the harbor.

My first day, I took one of the popular island boat trips out into the Mediterranean. We visited all of six islands, stopping to swim at teach one. The Mediterranean is incredibly salty here, not to mention freezing. I was one of only a handful of people who braved the cool royal blue water. Floating was a synch, and delightful! 



What fantastic scenery! I had a great day with the people I met on the boat.
 
 The next morning, I hikes a short way up the cliffs surrounding the city. Here, Lycian rock tombs are carved into the face of the cliff. They were bother spooky and impressive, providing beautiful views of the city.

Tiring of tombs, I took a handy dolmuş ride to lively Ölüdeniz, one of the most beautiful beaches in Turkey. A picture of this destination (literally "The Dead Sea") is featured on every brochure of Turkish Places to Go. It was stunning, certainly though no pictures of mine could really capture it. I'm in dire need of a sun screen for my camera.

I swam here too – and, if you can believe it, it was even saltier! After a few experiments, I discovered that, with my body straight down in the water, I only had to fill my lungs with air to float effortlessly. No treading water here! The salt did, however, make swimming a bit awkward. My butt kept breaching the surface of the sea, making for an uncomfortable breaststroke. Showers were provided on the beach for after your swim; the excess minerals leave a film on your skin, and you hair in impossible knots.

All in all, I give Fethiye two toes way, way up. A great stop.





No comments: