Monday, April 26, 2010

Pamukkale

I was up and out of my hotel early, catch my tour bus to my next destination – Pamukkale. After a quick stop for breakfast, and a long 3.5 hour drive inland, we finally made it. 

Pamukkale, a natural occurrence, is unique in this world. Formed by calcium deposits and water seeping up through the earth, this was a sight to behold! We took off our shoes, and waded into the pools. The scenery was fantastic. The company was entertaining. The water was a cool contrast to the baking sun. 


For an extra fee of 25 lira, you could swim in “Cleopatra’s pool”, a pool filled with natural water of 36 degrees, and covering age-old stones, broken marble, and fallen columns. I was content just to take a picture. Budget travelers must live without certain luxuries.


We only had a short time to visit the ruins of Hieropolis, literally the Sacred City. An amphitheatre, tucked neatly into a hillside, a Temple of Apollo, and the Martidium of St.Phillip, where he was martyred and then buried, were just a few of the ruins. Again, gorgeous natural setting.
 

On my way back to Bodrum, the tour bus was kind enough to drop me off in Mugla, much closer to my next destination, Fethiye, than Bodrum. An interesting cultural note: hitch hiking is a very acceptable practice here. Waiting at the bus stop to catch a particular coach that was due to pass soon, I was honked at my nearly every car that passed. Four cars pulled over and asked me if I wanted a ride in that direction. I played it safe, though, and when said coach bus approached, I flagged it down. Pretty nice, system, actually, but only if you are the hitcher. For the bus rider, the frequent stops can be very annoying.

1 comment:

SnapScrapRepeat said...

Wow, I could have really used these pictures when we were studying our rocks and minerals a few weeks back. This is fantastic!