Thursday, December 10, 2015

Sesame Crusted Tuna with Wasabi Sunomono and Spicy Miso Soup

Sometimes I feel like there's nothing much new to write about. Just working on and enjoying the same old things. So here's a semi boring life update!

 I haven't been to the gym as often the past 2 weeks due to being busy, but I'm looking forward to Christmas break for this reason. I'm planning to make some pretty chocolates next week, which is a fun adventure I look forward to filling you in on! I got some really cute chocolate molds and am more excited than I should be. 

I finally taped off guidelines for where my picture wall will go, and the art is in transit! Can't wait to share! I'm also rewatching Heros (because I was lost at the beginning of Heros Reborn) and I forgot how good it was. Great show to distract me on long elliptical runs. Kenny and I have both been sick with different ailments in the past week, so boo. Karma is doing well, still as loveable and silly as always, forever searching for more belly scratches wherever she can find them. Which is most places!


Actually, something out of the ordinary did happen recently! I don't usually have visitors on weeknights because I'm old, but tonight was a special exception! One of my best friends, Kimmy, came over to collect some apple butter we had made for Christmas gifts and stayed for dinner. We also needed to get some cookie baking out of the way and to #BakeItForward to get that $1 out of Food Network for those hungry kids. We tried out this Ginger Mollasses cookie from a great blogger, Gimme Some Oven. It sounded like it was going to be interesting and yummy, but it was ridiculous yummy. Like eat all of them right away yummy. Luckily, we kept our wits about us and brought the leftovers to work the next day so that others might enjoy them. 

Both of us are focusing on eating healthy (but everything in moderation! You can't deny us cookies around Christmastime!) so this was the perfect meal for us. I've been wanting to try out Sunomono for myself. It's a Japanese salad consisting of cucumbers and seaweed which is super healthy for you, not to mention delicious!! I put my own little twist on it bychanging  up the vinaigrette; I just purchased some wasabi and apologize in advance for putting it in everything the next couple weeks.



The miso soup I make is not the traditional soup. For one, I don't have and can't find kombu, which is a seaweed, or bonito flakes, dried fish flakes. Without these ingredients, I can't make the dashi, which is the traditional broth. That being said, this soup still tastes awesome, especially with deviation #2, jalapeños. 

Sesame Crusted Tuna
Serves 3
3 4 oz Tuna Steaks
 1/4 cup Black and white sesame seeds
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Bring your tuna steaks to room temperature. Salt and pepper to taste. 

Using a cookie sheet, spread out the sesame seeds. Press the seeds into the steaks until the steaks are mostly covered with seeds on all sides.

Heat a skillet on medium high heat. Melt coconut oil in the skillet, and then cook each steak about 1 - 2 minutes per side. Serve immediately!

Sunomono
Serves 3
1 Cucumber 
1/8 cup dried Wakame (dried seaweed)
1 tsp Wasabi
2 tbsp Rice wine vinegar 
2 tbsp Olive oil
Salt to taste

First, prepare the wakame. Bring about 2 cups of water to a boil and then add the wakame, cooking for about two minutes until the seaweed is hydrated. Drain.

Prepare the vinaigrette by adding all the remaining ingredients together.

Slice the cucumbers thin. Add In the wakame and the vinaigrette and stir to combine.

Spicy Miso soup
Serves 3 
5 cups water
3 tbsp white miso paste
1 jalapeño, sliced thin, half seeds removed
2 tbsp dried wakame
1/4 cup scallions, chopped

Bring the water at jalapeños to a boil. Add miso and stir to combine, another two minutes. Make sure to taste test at this point. I find that different miso pace have different salt levels, so you may need to adjust. 

Add the wakame and cook for another two minutes until the seaweed has expanded and is fully hydrated. Remove from heat, divide into bowls, and garnish with scallions.




No comments: