Sunday, April 4, 2010

"A Whirl of a Night", "Out of This 'Whirl'd", "Of Nuts and Sq-Whirlls", and a Million Other Cheesy Title Possibilities To Introduce a Blog about the "Whirling Dervishes" Ceremony In Istanbul


The Whirling Dervishes, aside from sending a million galavanting blog-post titles through your brain, are  one thing that Turkey is famous for. When I learned about them, it rang only a distant bell in my memory; most Americans, myself included, know too little about this amazing country. Due to my recent fascination with Islam, as well as a growing obsession with politics (just finished "Confessions of an Economic Hit-Man, by John Perkins. Unbelievable!), this ceremony couldn't have happened at a better time in my life. 

This is a mystical form of Islam started by Rumi, a Persian mystic and poet. The ceremony, once outlawed by the secular founderof the modern Republic of Turkey, Ataturk, was once again allowed due to its high tourist potential. A combination of entrancing music, with lyrics in both Turkish and Arabic, and, well, spinning, was performed over the course of an hour.

The music was fantastic. I was completely mesmorized by the calm, exotic sound of the instruments in this small auditorium.

We don't have this instrument in the US, but I've seen it before... in a musical Christmas Eve celebration in China.

After about half an hour of music, the Mevlevi Order, or Dervishes, appeared.  

They shed thier coats and began to spin, fantastically rooted their fixed spot on the stage.


They paused a few times, seemingly unshaken by the vertigo, and meditated for a bit. Then, they got right back to spinning. I loved it - such a cool experience!

2 comments:

SnapScrapRepeat said...

Wow! So cool. I've gotta show you this awesome thing I learned on shutter speed for moments just like this!

ann bkaer said...

Great pics...but I can't figure out what date your blogs are written on! Super...