Friday, May 30, 2008

Today I ventured out of my homely comfort zone to explore the nearby ville of Langy-Sur-Marne, literally Langy, under the Marne (a small river running Northwest through France, where it feeds into the Seine in Paris).

I hitched a ride with Margarite, Household Help #1, as she drove the kids to school at 8am. Margarite is a French woman in her late 60s, and is very stern, but with a kind heart. As we dropped the kids off at school, she handed me her map of the town, and informed me that this morning was a market morning, and it would be fun to see. She marked the bus stop, and told me I could buy a ticket home on board. She wished me luck, flashed me a kind smile, and drove off our parking spot on the sidewalk in her little, ancient brown Volkswagen.

I walked for a few minutes up the Rue Saint-Laurent, a busy street with the two schools of the region on either side. The road was paved, as were the sidewalks, and there were cars parked all over the place, especially on the walkways. When I start driving, I’ll make sure to remember that, when in doubt, park wherever the heck you want.

I reached Centre-Ville (the center of the city of Langy-Sur-Marne), in no time. Although one can never seem to find a street marker, there are plenty of signs pointing the way to different towns, Centre-Ville, ect. I was surprised to find numerous tents set up, and the town already bustling. It was a flea market of sorts, with individual vendors selling items for far below retail value. Fabrics, ribbons, used books, trendy clothing, dishes, shoes: whatever your greatest low quality bargain dream is, you could find it there. I even found a vendor for cheap gold Pokemon pendent necklaces. Don’t worry, I bought you one.

The tented vendors were not the only part of the market. The first floor of a large building nearby was a covered walkway, and the space occupied by food vendors. Fresh meats and seafood, some with the hair, heads, and eyes still on, frightened me slightly. More fruit, cheese, and pastries that I ever knew existed made my mouth water. An old French couple can set up a table to sell their crop of strawberries. Breads, homemade soaps, even a coffee shop. I don’t know how I managed to leave with out purchasing anything.

For the next 2 hours, I took to exploring. I walked and walked. I followed the quaint winding rues where they would take me. I walked down busy cobblestone streets (busy with walkers, that is. The streets were one way, and with the merchandise spilling onto the street in the market spirit, even the tiny euro cars had difficulty fitting through). I found stores for clothes, coiffures for that hair cut I’m going to need soon, a Pizza place for when I’m missing America, and a pharmacy. I found a very old stained Church. I walked along the beautiful Marne River, passing a few groups of old French men, fishing in the morning sun. I even found myself looking into a little store’s window, spotted the words “Karma Sutra,” and realized in embarrassment that I had been staring into the window of a very risqué sex shop. A real French faux pas.

I was very afraid to buy lunch, but I forced myself to buy café au lait. Certainly the only way to learn a language and a culture is to put your self out there against your better judgment. Given, I felt like a fool, but I did it. And I understood everything that was said to me! It’s speaking now that I need to work on. All in good time, however. I’m making great progress.

The coffee was great, but not as good as if I’d had the courage to ask for some educourant, or sugar substitute. Next time, my friends, I will conquer my fear.

When I returned home from the bus, a bright pink Mercedes Benz bus, which dropped me off right at my door for the small price of 1.50 euro, I called my mom. We had a nice talk, and then I made some lunch and watched the Lost season finale. Not of ABC.com, though, which, to my horror, does not allow people outside the US to view the shows. After the initial period of me having an anxiety attack about Lost, I found a very crappy, low definition copy of the episode. And, though it was a horrible viewing experience, I LOVED IT. Seriously, what IS that show?! I won’t give away the ending, but MAN, it was SO GOOD!

This weekend, the family is going to the “county” to the grandparents’ house. Apparently the have a pool. The parents have a wedding in Bordeaux, so the kids and I will be hanging out with the Grandparents. Unfortunately, they have to wireless, so you’ll have to wait until Monday to hear all about this adventure.

Another great day in Chanteloup-en-Brie.

2 comments:

Brian Barker said...

Can I put in word for Esperanto?

It may not help you at the moment, but if you intend to learn another language it has great propadeutic values!

You can check detail on http://www.esperanto.net

MsGraham said...

Haha, I could've told you the tv networks thing! You won't be able to get any of them. A girl in O'Hare and I bonded over this misfortune. TV Shack is good for finding stuff. It has a movie part, too.

I can totally relate to the fear of ordering! But once you do, wow! Aren't the markets cool? I got to go to one in Paris near the Eiffel Tower.

You're gonna drive??? Go you! Be safe!