Tuesday, July 8, 2008

It is now time in my story for the twist of the plot, the part where emotions fly, an internal battle erupts, and the direction of the protagonist’s destiny is forever drastically altered because of some intense, appalling event.

In reality, it was not that exciting.

Au Pair Agency A (USA) forwarded my letter of resignation, detailing all of the problems I had, to Agency B (France), who then forwarded the email to Geraldine, mom. Geraldine then discussed it with Agency B, and Agency B sent me a letter saying to talk it over. They said she sounded very generous on the phone.

Of course, I was ticked. I was planning to talk to her on my own terms tonight about what I was feeling and why I was leaving, I could not prepare for a defense in just an hour (I got the email at 6 and she gets home around 7) of what was seemingly an attempt to trash her reputation and bolt.

However, a yelling, furious woman did come home. Geraldine was kind, and wished me happy birthday. Then, she sent the kids out of the kitchen, and told me that she sensed I was not well, and asked me why.

Now, I knew that she that she knew about the email that I sent. But, judging from her disguise of the conversation, she didn’t know that I knew that she knew. So I had the upper had. Voila.

I started with saying that they were very generous, but I was lonely. It is very hard in a place that you can’t get up and run in the morning, even when you are technically “off-duty”. There is always that grey line between work and relaxation, and it is very difficult to find one’s place. I then talked about the fact that I miss my family, and the fact that I don’t like when we go places because I’m all alone. No one talks to me, and I have absolutely no freedom.

She was so supportive. She said that I needed to join her an Arnaud when they come home from work, and on the weekends I need to come do things with the family. She said she wants to make this a home for me. She told me that she had read my letter (I acted surprised, a performance worthy of recognition) and she brought up certain things like the kids.

She did not use the month of June as leverage, as I expected. Instead of saying that she paid me 500 euros to do pretty much nothing, she commented on how hard that must have been. I told her it was probably one of the hardest things in my life. I think I’m still recovering.

Honestly, I was shocked. And then she brought up Margaret. Apparently, the family has had around 10 au pairs, and only after Margaret has there been problems. With her gifts and support, she also engrained this negative image in my head of the family I’m staying with. My mom provided another example of this in her life. She didn’t intentionally do this, but the riff between the two parties is so strong that one subconsciously chooses sides with the kind, old woman who brings you the low fat yogurt you like.

I realized how much her negativity had influenced me. Geraldine was not a witch. She is kind and thoughtful. Yes, she still has her ideals and upper class mentality, but she cares, and she wants me to stay.

So, the protagonist’s destiny is drastically altered in the face of revelation, or whatever. I decided to stay.

After that, the family took me out to a restaurant for dinner. It was a cute Japanese sushi place, with moving belts in the center carrying food for the taking. We snatched different kinds of sushi, salad, and vapor cooked foods from the belt. Then, we got ice cream, and the mom gave me a body mist and lotion that was rose scented (yum!) and from somewhere expensive. I felt awful that they were showing me so much kindness even though we had this conversation. It was really, really, nice.

Even though they might not be perfect, I think that I can spend 7 more weeks here. I do like France, and the money is not bad. Plus, on our vacation, I’ll get to see Rouen again, and Orleans. I will have to be careful not to catch back the misery Margaret unintentionally bestows, and I will have to find ways to make myself happier. My mom sent me come cross stitching projects and a book by one of my favorite authors (Sohia Kinsella), so I have some things to do. All in all, it was a good birthday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your new header! I love you!