Wednesday, July 30, 2008

MInd Games of the Hot and Sweaty

Life in France continues for the forsaken Au Pair, though I wish I could get it over with already.

The hot weather has added to my grievances, given that air conditioning is somewhat of a luxury around here. It’s either that, or people like being uncomfortable warm and moist during the daylight hours.

Yesterday, Geraldine kindly set an agenda for a completely empty day. We headed off to Quick (a fast food place like McDonalds) for lunch. I really enjoy taking the kids there, a cause du the “gi-normous,” as Buddy the Elf might put it, play center. After playing for 2 hours, We headed off to Val D’Europe, another “gi-normous” play center, but of a different kind.

We passed my favorite play dates, which I loving call H&M, United Colors of Benneton, and Zara, and descended to Sea Life, a medium sized aquarium park underneath the mall. We saw numerous fishes, stingrays, and more. I sympathized with the sharks; with the kids running like maniacs and screaming at the top of their lungs, I could easier have bitten off an appendage or two.

Today, when she entered the house after work, Geraldine stormed in and began immediately yelling at her children for chipping the door. She screamed, threatened, and demanded to know who was at fault. When she finally left the room, only after taking away a day at the garderie, and threatening to break one of Arthur's toys so he could see how it felt, the kids began to talk calmly. They knew who had done it, but none had said a word to protect the other. ‘How sad that your own children have already secretly banded against you,’ my imaginary self wrote in an imaginary letter dropped discretely on the imaginary Geraldines’ door step in the cover of darkness. You can never be too careful.

On another note, I would like to play a little game. What is the first word that comes to mind when I say the word PRUNE? Stick that work to the side, and tell the first word that comes to mind when I say BEET.

If you said OLD PEOPLE and YUCK, then you win. What is the prize? Knowing that there is much more to these two things that you thought! I tried prunes for the first time today, as Geraldine had purchased a huge tub of the plum-like fruit. Delicious! I have no idea why I thought only old people ate prunes. Beets are great too! Strange looking, but who can hate a deep pink veggie with a sugary taste? If anything, my stay here has shattered my prejudice against many a thing of sustenance.

No comments: