Monday, December 7, 2015

Butternut Squash & Barley Salad with a Cranberry Orange Compote

The weeks are just flying by! I can't believe it's Monday night again and the weekend is already one whole day past. It feels like I am always saying to Kenny, "I'm so happy it's Friday!" And then, "I can't believe it's Sunday night already!" Yet somehow it always feels like it's the middle of the week... 

I'm hosting Christmas this year for Kenny's family which has been a bit stressful to think about.  This is our first year hosting, and since we just moved to our project house in May, not much is done. I haven't even put pictures on the walls because I can't paint because we are getting new woodwork next year but in order to do that we need new floors so basically I'm a sitting duck! It's begun to be really frustrating, so I decided that I would put up my art wall at least, using Christmas as my motivation to get it done. I've been eyes a few pretty prints/ paintings on Etsy, and just made a couple purchases today. Once we FINALLY get our engagement photos (I know, the wait is killing me too!) it will be complete. Exciting little project! Feels great to finally begin to do something.

Anyhow, because I'm so busy with obsessing over how the art wall will pan out, I don't have a lot of time to spend prepping dinner. This recipe is an amazing weeknight meal for exactly this reason. Simple, hearty, and nourishing. Perfect for Meatless Monday as well!


I was inspired by a recipe I found on Pinterest (when am I not?) by blogger Cherry on my Sundae. I followed her recipie pretty closely, though I used fresh cranberries and cooked them down into a delicious compote. See that recipie below, and substitute for "dried cranberries" in the the recipe on her site.

P.S. Definitely make extra berries. Maybe too with a little vanilla bean ice cream and eat the leftovers for dessert? Just saying.

Cranberry Orange Compote
Serves 2 salads (and a little more for that ice cream business we discussed earlier)

1 cup fresh Cranberries
Juice of 1 orange
Zest of 1 orange
1 tbsp Basalmic vinegar
1/2 tsp garam masala 
3 - 5 tbsp Honey (depending on your desired level of sweetness... I err towards tart)


Combine all ingredients into a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir frequently and bring to a boil. Cook 5-10 minutes uncovered until berries began to break down. Remove from heat.

No comments: