Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Turmeric Detox Bowl

Back to school again. Sigh. It's kind of bittersweet heading back to work after an extended break. On one hand, I'm happy to see everybody again and get back to my routine (I'm always so much more productive), but on the other hand, there's rest and relaxation a glass of wine! Yes please!

I don't know about you, but around this time of year I eat a lot. A lot of stuff I don't normally eat and a lot of it! My body always feels thrown off by the added sugar and fat, which tells me 2 things. One, I need to throw in a little detox, and two, I'm getting old. Older and bolder!

Detox for me is not a juice cleanse, or a fast, although NPR had an interesting piece on this!

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/01/12/376712920/minifasting-how-occasionally-skipping-meals-may-boost-health 

For me, it's a day where I hit the veggies hard, drink tons of water, and eat really, really clean. That does not mean sacrificing flavor however! Healthy and clean absolutely can be delicious and satisfying and easy!

This bowl was a great way to end a "detox" day. The turmeric broth has a really excellent flavor that it's everything together, and not to mention the health benefits it brings. I feel great this morning and think I'm going to continue this "detox" streak for another day. Will let you know what I come up with next!

What do you do to put yourself back on track? Would love to hear!



Turmeric Detox Bowl
Serves 2
2 large carrots, sliced
2 bulb onions, halved lengthwise 
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 cup cooked barley
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted 
1 1/2 tbsp tumeric
2 - 2 1/2 cups water
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit. Toss carrots and onions in 1/2 of the oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes (you can roast the meatballs at the same time to maximize efficiency!).

While vegetables and meatballs are roasting, prepare the broth. Add red onions to a deep skillet over medium high heat. Cook for 5-7 minutes off until beginning to carmelize. Add the ginger, garlic, and thyme and cook for another minute until fragrant. Add tumeric and more oil if necessary and sauté for an additional 3 minutes. Add the water (less at first) until you reach your desired concentration. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and squeeze in lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve with vegetables, barley, and meatballs below.


Turkey Meatballs
Makes about 8 meatballs
1/2 lb ground turkey
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs 
1 egg
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1/2 tbsp siracha 
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp coriander  seeds
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

In a skillet, toast the cumin and coriander seeds over medium heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Grind using a mortar and pestle. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Mold into balls and place onto a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes at 375°F. 

No comments: