Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Turmeric Grilled Chicken with a Pomegranate Slaw

I'm clearly on a turmeric kick, and a low calorie one at that. This was an awesome meal that was under 500 calories! I mean, one of those meals that you sit back and think, damn! That's good! I DID that! Also, those yellow turmeric stains in my nail beds and on the countertop. I also did that.

I've been working on a website to officially launch my baking business the past week. I'm pretty excited about it... but also terrified. I feel like I'm really putting myself out there, and yeah, I could certainly fail. But I have to try, right? You'll never know what could have been if you don't take a leap of faith. And it's not like I'm on a time schedule anyway... That's the nice thing about a side job:) So, if you're having a party seriously call me and I will make you dizzy with delightfully delicious desserts (and my tendency to alliterate when excited).

Until then, seriously try this out. Yummaayyy yo! *high five*



Tumeric Grilled Chicken
Serves 3
3 chicken breasts (about 5 oz each)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp siracha 
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tbsp turmeric 
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp pepper corns


For the Pomegranate Slaw
Serves 3
2 1/2 cups Cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup Red onion
1/2 cup Carrot
1 tbsp Honey
3 tbsp Mayonnaise 
1 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp Olive oil 
1/4 cup Pomegranate seeds
Salt and pepper to taste

First, marinate the chicken. Toast the coriander seeds in a skillet over medium heat, then transfer to a mortar and pestle, add peppercorns, and grind to a powder. Add in brown sugar and continue to grind. Combine with al other ingredients, including chicken, and marinate for at least 1 hour.

Prepare the slaw. I used a julienne slicer to finely cut up the cabbage, onion, and carrot. Combine with all ingredients, pomegranate seeds last with care, and salt and pepper to taste. 

Heat your grill pan over medium high heat. Brush with olive oil. Cook chicken breast about 5-8 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Let rest for a few minutes until serving. Serve over slaw!

No comments: