Monday, August 4, 2008

And the "Best Weekend Ever" award goes to...

This weekend was, by far, the best weekend I have had yet in France.

Friday night, although all I wanted to do was sleep away the frustration that had built up all week, I forced myself out of the house to go to a BBQ held by Margaret. It was Switzerland’s (her home country) national holiday, and she had invited over a few friends. Gwen and Laure were there with their family, which made me feel very happy. We ate and talked until 1am. It was really nice!

Saturday, it rained. I was planning to go to Paris to see the Louvre, but I refuse to go when it’s raining. So instead, I hit the mall to do some shopping. I bought a really cute sweater, a couple shirts, 3 DVDs (The Prestige, Little Miss Sunshine, and Rocky I), a CD, and lunch. It was a lot of fun to let loose and spend some of that money I have earned. I also had a cause to celebrate; August 2nd marked my 3-week ticket to freedom.

That night, I ate dinner with Margaret, and then drove to meet Gwen and Laure. We arrived in Paris around 10:30, and were lucky enough to find a parking spot. It was my first night out in Paris. Although seemingly impossible, the city is more beautiful by night. We loitered by the Seine among crowds of people, young and old. The Eiffel tower was visible in the distance, and we caught the end of the terrific light show.



We then headed to a small bar, when we had a drink and talked. I got home to Margaret's house around 3:30am; she had invited me to spend the night there. I tucked in to a magnificent bed and slept until noon.

When I woke up, I headed down to say good morning. What a good morning it was! She had prepared Swiss brioche, which is a delicious type of bread. We ate some with homemade confiture, or jam. After this delicious meal, I chatted a little with her husband, and then we ate lunch. After the stew, we tasted several different cheeses, a sweet white wine, and completed the meal with yogurt as dessert. I returned home around 5pm.



Exhausted, I said hello of the kids and was curtly greeted my Geraldine. I don’t know why she was mad at me this time, but I’ve stopped caring. Then, after watching a film, Antoine informed me that the family was going out for a little, and would return around 10pm. Now, as this was right around dinnertime, I assumed they were going out to dinner, and didn’t invite me. After cleverly interrogating the kids this morning, I discovered that they went to see Wall-E, and went to a sushi restaurant as well. Whatever, I thought. I have stopped caring.

On another note, I receive my contract for teaching in China today! I’ll be starting the 15th of October, and will be finished by the end of February. I am very excited! Filled with renewed spirit, the banal tasks and psychotic children seemed less of a threat to my sanity than usual today.

No comments: