Thursday, August 28, 2008

Across the World in 3 Days

Since my last entry, things have dramatically changed for me. Like, WORLDS differerent.

First, I finally escaped France alive. Mom was curiously kind to me as I left, as if she had no idea how horrible she had made these past few months. Chatting with me like we were best friends, and encouraging me to write the kids, she sent me out the door that early Saturday morning. After an extremely akward, yet pleasant, ride with Dad (during which I pictured my sister giggling uncontrollably at the akwardness) I arrived at the airport. After purchasing some expensive wine and chocolate for my parents, I boarded the plane with an exuberant energy pulsing through my viens. I was FREE.

The flight was so long, but my anxiety was lessened by Enriquo, the 60 something italian sitting next to me. He bought me wine bottle after wine bottle, and within the hour we were drunk. He was absolutely hilarious, baring that italian extrovertedness that can make anyone laugh. I slept for maybe an hour, a small amount given I hadn´t slept the night before (¨Am I REALLY getting out of here?¨).

After two hours of immigration, baggage claim, and customs, I finally fell into my parents arms. It was so wonderful to see them again, yet surreal.

I spent a sleepless night in Miami, attributed to the still lingering energy in my body, and then repacked everything and headed again to the airport. I flew to Panama City, then to Lima, then to Cusco. Overall travel time: 17 hours. Ask me if I´m jet lagged. I dare you.

Throughout my stay in France, I was so preocuppied with, well, hating it, that I completely forgot to be excited about Cusco. When I left the airport, I was stunned at how gorgeous everything was. Completely enclosed by the Andes, it seems isolated from all western influence. I was taken to Maximo Nivel, the school I´ll be taking the TEFL course at. Everyone was so friendly! After getting a quick tour, I was taken to The Family House, one of many bed and breakfasts through out the city. I have my own room and bathroom, and all meals prepared for me everyday. It is so wonderful, and such a change from France. There are about 15 people living here with me, all of which are volunteers in the city. Many interesting people.

My first day here, after not sleeping in 3 days, consisted of a crash. I slept for every 18 hours, and then 15 the next night, with the odd nap thrown it. I did get a chance to walk around a bit, and found an awesome touristy indoor mall. There are so many alpaca goods that I want to buy, and so cheap! All of the shop owners were so friendly, inviting me to ¨Pasa, senoritaI was nearly forced to buy an alpaca blanket from an extremely smooth and overbearing salesman, who happened to be 11 years old.

Today was my first day of class. We have 9 of us, and each person brings their own experiences and personality. It is a really fun group! I can tell that we will be really close after this month. The class seems semi-intense, but, having just graduated with a degree in education, I dont´think it will be too bad. We have class 9-12, and then from 1-3. Today, in place of the 1-3 session, we took a practical tour of Cusco.

The Plaza de Armas is stunning. The Plaza de San Blas has a ton of really cute restaurants. We went to the red market, El Molino, where you can buy anything knockoff that you can dream of. I bought the Office, Season 4, and 2 other movies for 20 sols, or about 8 dollars. I will definatley be going back there! YAY for awesome exchange rates!

For a cab fare of 2.50 sols, I can get anywhere within the city. I can get a 3 course menu during lunch for less than 8 sols. Priceless: The wonderful feeling that you are not going to go broke.

Everywhere I look, the gorgeous mountain scenery astounds me. I won´t be able to get pictures up until after I leave (my computer has rejected the wireless here at school), which is a bummer. This small city is unbelievable! Which is why I am getting off the computer, and going to soak it in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love it! I'm so happy for you. I know this will be a wonderful experience!!!

SnapScrapRepeat said...

Amy,

GLad to hear all is well. May your travels take you far and may you carry your learnings back in a satchel to share! Things are very different from what you once knew here...maybe once you return to Miami I can tell you of it all. Stay safe and BEHAVE!