Monday, March 2, 2009

Another Trip, Another Goodbye, and Beans Galore

Though living abroad and travel make for some spectacular experiences and an abundance of fun times, it's the ending that makes me question whether I'm cut out for it or not. I genuinely care about everyone that I meet, even those that are not that nice to me, and find it very difficult to say those last words. I have lost a lot of sleep and shed many tears leaving this adventure behind, like each one before. Maybe it's the struggle with the life change as well that brings me down in the dumps. At any rate, Beijing has lost some of it's color and wonder for me on this trip.

Emma, my companion for the next couple days, has never been to China's capital before, so I've put on my happy face (which is not incredibly difficult, as I am accostomed to being regularly happy) and become a tour guide. I can't believe how well I know the city, like getting around by subway, the best places to eat, the most interesting to walk - I get that feeling of "Yeah, I live here" that makes me feel proud and a bit pompous.

Emma set off to the Great Wall today, which left me with some free time on my hands. I did a bit of computer work (i.e. photo organization and Facebook stalking) at the nearest Starbucks, which happened to have free wifi in addition to delicious coffee, before visiting the Silk and Pearl Markets one last time. I met some Americans there, who wowed over my Chinese; it made me feel proud (and, yes, a bit more pompous) to realize that I was, in fact, impressive to my fellow countrymen. Haggling, no doubt, in one of my strong suits as well. I met a vendor whom I recognized from a previous visit (and who remembered me in return), and we played the guessing game with my newly purchased goods. She spoke some English, and, again, wowed at how cheaply I had driven the vendors. This added a few more beans to the Self-Confidence jar, which was already full from the days events.

I absolutely can't believe that I leave tomorrow. 5 months has just flown by! I've learned so much, not only about Chinese culture and language, but myself as well. I've made some great friends, and seen some amazing things. What a wonderful experience to have had!

2 comments:

SnapScrapRepeat said...

bittersweet, my favorite explorer; here's a quote to send you home with:

"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen." -Benjamin Disranil

Unknown said...

Awesome. :) I'm glad you got home safely. Welcome back!