Thursday, October 9, 2008

Anxious Chinese Scrapping, My Dream Guy Smells like Red Bean!


Though I'm sure that everything will work out fine, this doesn't change the fact that I have slight nausea in the pit of my stomach at all hours of the day. The facts that 1) I don't know a word of Chinese, 2) I know zip about their culture, and 3) I am clueless as to what the my life will be like there, are all  chipping away at me, bit by bit, one sunburned patch of skin at a time. Plus, the obvious excitement of a new adventure that is s0-close-I can-taste-the-general-taos-chicken is making me even more anxious. The icing on the cake: knowing that I have sit on a plane for 13 hours (fear of flying combined with 13 hours of boredom... not a good combo for a slightly ADD, I-want-to-run-around-and-PLAY kind of person). 

Today, I downloaded a podcast to learn some chinese words. I can now say 'hello,' 'long time no see' (which will be completely useless as I know no Chinese people, least of all those I haven't seen in a long time, yet, just in case Jin or Sun from Lost shows up...), 'I'm good, you?', and 'thank you'. I am well on my way to fluency, as you can clearly see. Also, I am well on my way to checking myself into rehab for Lost addicts, where they play 24 all day long. Afterward, patients are transferred directly to 24 rehab (unavoidable), from which there is no escape.  They've come under fire recently for using some sketchy and rather violent healing techniques (hacksaws and other weapons were discovered in the Mary Poppin-esque man-purses carried around by the nurses), so I think it's best avoided. At all costs, damn it!

Anyway, rest of my day looks just about as relaxing as the rest of the lazy days I've had at home. I have to run some last minute errands, picking up such things as tampons (which apparently are really expensive in China) books (only classics are available), and deoderant... with scents like 'Red Bean,' it just wouldn't be fair to the boys if I wore it. How could you resist a western woman that smells like a red bean? I don't think you could. Hm, maybe that's why there's so many chinese people.

In my spare time, I finally got the chance to start scrapping my college years, something that's been eating away at my scrappy soul for some time. Here's the first 4 pages:



 
I have missed scrapping SO MUCH that I really think I need to bring my stuff to China. It's a great de-stresser for me (as is going to the gym, which, when googled, yeilded many different locations where I could satisfy that itch). Hopefully I have enough room!  

3 comments:

Caleb said...

Hi, I'm traveling down to Cusco at the end of the month to work in an orphanage and teach English. It sounds like a great place to live. Please let me know how life is treating you down there.

SnapScrapRepeat said...

WOW! I am so PROUD of you!! Look at all of these beautiful LOs!!! Are you sure you don't want to stay home from CHina and scrap your heart out?? Have a save trip! and remember to mark your self on my MAP! I can't imagine what you would do if you were able to take your scraps with you...take lots of pictures! Think like a scrapper!

MsGraham said...

Your scrapbook pages are beautiful! Wow! Where do you go for inspiration??? Hope China is awesome!