Monday, February 22, 2010

Adding Some Spice to Tasteless Fog


Recently, my two lovely roommates and I took a much anticipated journey to one of Istanbul's most famous bazaars: the Spice Bazaar. Located in Sultanahmet, the traditional and very touristy area of this sprawling metropolis, the Spice Bazaar is a cheaper, but smaller, altermative to the all-encompassing Grand Bazaar. 

First, we journied into Asia, via a long bridge. Underneath, restaurants and fish markets wait patiently for the summer season, which I can only assume transform this area into a madhouse of activity.

The Spice Bazaar itself was colorful, busy, and full of buyers. Every vendor here spoke English and Japanese; apparently, Japanese tourists abound in this city. I got a chance to practice a little bit, and realized how very much I missed the language, among other things. I went home later and purchased a Japanese language book, appeasing my lingering obsession with Japan.

But, for now, Turkey! This Bazaar was a photographer's dream (or, at least an amateur's).
Ceramics are huge in Turkey, all sporting flamboyant patterns, bright colors, and a variety of useful shapes.
So many spices! I can't wait to try them out in my slowly improving cooking skills.
Turkish Delight: A chewy, sweet delicacy that I am, frankly, not too fond of. I'll keep my chocolate.


It was a nice day - and a precursor of many more to come. One week until this work cycle ends, awarding me my two days off for the rest of the time here. I will have been working nearly two months, with about 6 days off, including the 3 when I first got here. I'm thinking vacation!

2 comments:

ann Baker said...

Nice entry! OHHHH, I would love to go to the spice market. I think those bowls are gorgeous.

SnapScrapRepeat said...

Stunning work here. Feast for the eyes. Can't wait to see what your two equals!