Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Heart-And-Home Warming Valentine's

This Valentine's was a great one. Istanbul was decorated to the nines, complete with a mass of rose vendors, cheesy window illustrations, and, of course, a festive trolley.
I spent the holiday in the luxury of my own place. My roommates and I decided to throw a Valentine's/ House Warming party, inviting many of our fellow English Teachers, as well as some Turkish friends. 
With my sub-concious homemaker vying for an outlet, I took it on myself to do a little holiday baking. I made pink cupcakes, chocolate cupcakes, and these adorable heart cookies. Working with Turkish instructions, a small, portable, unevenly heated "oven", and no measuring equipment, the goods turned out quite well, considering. Here's the display dish- a slew of refills lined the kitchen counter.

The party had a nice turn out. About 20 people turned up, hanging out, chatting, and listening to music until late. Most people brought a bottle of wine, which the crowd promptly polished off. Most of us, after all, are single. 
It was a nice night! Gotta love holidays!

No comments: