Friday, April 30, 2010

Aleppo (Halep)


I was so exhausted that, while typing some thoughts of the day down on my computer, I fell asleep several times. So, I slept, for 12 hours straight. Apparently, right after I laid down, Robin came out of the shower and asked me a question. I had fallen so fast asleep, that I began to sleep talk and walk, rambling on about photos and madly gesticulating my artistic direction. We had a good laugh about this the next morning... though apparently I did have some bright ideas in subconcious rant.

We checked out of the Baron, and made our way out into the city. Though we were a mere 60 minutes from Turkey, I immediately saw it: Syria.
The old part of town was lovely and exotic, retaining so much of it’s character in architecture and local dress. The bazaar was lively, and here we met many kind shop keepers. I purchased some sweets to send home, and was given a ‘discount’ of several free extras by the excited shopkeeper. We were invited for several cups of tea by different patrons, all intensely curious about our upbringing and visit to their country. These people were so generous, it was almost astounding.

We also drank several cups of Syrian coffee. This coffee is different from Turkish coffee: more tangy in taste, and without the grounds. At first taste, I didn’t like it, but, later in my sejour à l’Orient, acquired an appreciation for this unique derivative of my favorite beans.

The citidel, the center of the old city, hovers over the uniform height of the surrounding city structure.  The locals hung around the entrance, enjoying this piece of the past set below storybook clouds.


Inside, it was stunning. People crawled like ants over the hodgepodge of paths, walls, and buildings, or the remnants thereof.


I met many overtly friendly young Syrians here, eager to speak to me and find out where I was from. The women, were mostly covered, which I found to be so beautiful. 

 


After the citidel, we visited an old mosque. We were provided robes for entering, which made us clumsy and fidgety. Climbing atop for some spectacular views, we enjoyed one last look at Halep.


We grabbed falafel to go (my favorite on-the-run meal here . Delicious and cheap, about 0.50USD) and were off: on the road to Damascus. We passed some gorgeous sunsets on the way, and were treated to several pieces of gum  and family photos by our fellow passengers. Again, the hospitality surprised us!




1 comment:

ann Baker said...

I am enjoying all of these stories. DId you have a Saul-Paul experience on the road to Damascus??!! Beautiful pictures..thank you!