Saturday, April 17, 2010

Ephesus, and Selçuk

Opting not to do a tour, I decided today to do Ephesus on my own. I caught a series of buses to the sight, but made it in good time. Plus, my new friends at the Otogar treated me to several cups of tea and nice conversation before the trip. I just LOVE that custom - the complimentary tea.


Ephesus is one of the best-preserved ancient Greek Ruins. It’s a sprawling city, even today, with floods of tourists visiting from every corner of the globe. It was the capital of Asia Minor, the home of St. John and the Virgin Mary after the death of Jesus, and recipient of biblical letters from Paul (to the Ephesians. From theatres, to baths, from libraries to Chapels dedicated to the Virgin Mary, these ruins have it all. Not to mention set in a stunning natural landscape.

A photo reel can show better than I can tell. Enjoy this fascinating place; I certainly did!
 Afterwards, on my way home, I was planning to catch a dolmus to Selçuk, a nearby town, and a bus straight to Bodrum. A young shopper, off to lunch in town, gave me a lift on his scooter. We zipped along the short highway to central Selçuk, a fantastic time. I had a few hours before my bus, so I set to exploring… and had a blast. St. John’s Basilica, where he was buried, is here. Set again in breathtaking nature, it was a timeless place.
The Castle in the distance... closed due to restoration, though some sketch characters told me they could take me in for a fee.
After this, I was sucked into a carpet shop by a friendly owner. I was offered Turkish coffee, and then a few teas, as we chatted for an hour. What great conversation! His family is from the Lake Van area, very near the border to Iran. He is the first generation to leave his nomadic Kurdish tribe (as in, no electricity, born in a tent, ect.!) – and, due to fortunate circumstances, has been able to travel many places to promote his business. He is also a frequent couch-surfing host. He showed me these cats specific to the Lake Van region, special because they are white, with one blue eye, and one green eye. Gorgeous!

 We had great conversation, and I was reluctant to leave. 

Selçuk was a pleasant surprise – laid back, friendly, and beautiful. 

2 comments:

SnapScrapRepeat said...

I love this! I'm dreaming in scrapbook pages for you - HOW ARE WE EVER GONNA GET YOU INTO ALL of these beautiful photos!? We will we will....

Ann Baker said...

I love this entry. This was fantastic...great pictures, great summary, LOVED it!!