Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cappadocia: Tour-riffic!

I got up early the next day, before even the sun was up. One of the key tourist activities on Cappadocia is to take a balloon trip at sunrise over the region, and I was not about to miss out. Not only was it extremely exciting to be in a hot air ballow, it was breathtaking, the scenery.
(It was freezing so early in the morning!)
(There were tons of balloons everywhere. I wonder if any of them every collide...)

After this exhilarating ride, I headed straight back to my "cave", as I called it. I was staying in a cave hotel, actually quite a lovely place! I was picked up promply for my tour at 9am. The mini bus was full of 18 people of variying nationalities: 6 from Spain, 2 from Brazil, 3 from Mexico 2 from Australia, 2 Canadians, and 1 Turk. And, of course, one American. It was an awesome mix, and I had an amazing day getting to know these people. Our guide Cevdat, was great, too. He had graduated from university with a degree in tourism; he was THAT good.

First we visited a scenic view of point of the valley, were dozens of souvenier shops were conveniently located.

After this, we took a ride to an underground city, Derinkuyu, dating back to the 6th century A.D. The city, carved into the rock below our feet, was over 50 meters underground. Some of the passages were so tight that even petite little I was crouched and nearly  crawling through. The rooms were expansive and numerous.  With a kitchen (containing a stove harnessing the heat from deep within the earth), storage, chapel (in the shape of a cross), living quarters, stables, all connecting with a maze of "hallways", I found my internal compass completely knocked off it's spinner. It was incredible - but definitely not an experience for the claustrophobe.



Next, we headed to the gorgeous Ilhara Valley for a hike through the gorge. I snapped a few shots before... my battery died!


 I always forget how quickly the cold drains batteries. My cave home and the balloon ride were both chilling, and I guess my camera felt it too. At any rate, I felt helpless and lost, near a state of panic thinking I would have no photos. How much I have come to rely on my camera!

With or without camera, life continued (at least in the Ilhara Valley). We hided a spectacular trail through the valley for about one hour. I was astounded by the colors- the expansive pallet of neutrals in the stones, the array of greens in the vegetation, and the crystal blue of the sky. The river clapped along, minding it's own business. The caves watched nonchalantly from above.

We stopped for lunch at a restaurant in the valley. We sat in open huts, elevated about 3 feet off the earth. Sitting indian style around  low round table, we enjoyed our traditional Turkish meal and some interesting conversation. And, of course, a Turkish coffee to top it all off. Mmmm.

After our stomachs were sufficiently full, we took a ride to the Selina Monestary, and important stop of the Silk Road. We clambored up the rocks to explore the cave rooms, including three chapels. THe sun beat down on the boulders, warming out chilled bodies. The monestary had a calm and timeless atmosphere- I really enjoyed some contemplative philosophical thoughts. A rare occurrence, we all know.

The Pidgeon Valley was next, but was mostly just a last minute push for souveniers. It was a pretty view though. Here, in ancient times, the size of a man's pidgeon house was a deciding factor in his success with wooing women. A number of inappropriate jokes ensued.

I never thought I'd say it, but "I can't wait to get back to my cave!" were the words on everyone's lips, including my own. I was exhausted from a long day, and fell asleep with a smile on my face.

2 comments:

SnapScrapRepeat said...

Glorious! I do need to put my new camera skills to use (you would like it lots!) so next time you head off on an adventure...I swear you are taking me with you! I'm so saddened to hear of the untimely death of your camera's battery. I often fear this and have thought about purchasing a backup for those JIC moments. But, typical you, the graphic lingo of your always powerful written illustrations makes the reader see it all through your blog! Thank goodness you keep a blog! Hmmm, what a good idea that was to start one! Stay safe in your journeys throughout Turkey and the return to Miami. Hope to see you in Chicago soon!

ann bkaer said...

YOU TOOK A HOT AIR BALLOON ride!!!!! Om my goodness. I want to do that! That was so cool. Great blog entry