Friday, September 19, 2008

The Amys of Thursday Share Thier Conflicting Experiences, and Kindly Remind Amy of 7:06 to Take Her Schizophrenia Medication

Yesterday and today were polar opposites. Unfortunately for the Amy of Thursday, this was the negatively charged end of the spectrum.

Breakfast wasn’t even set up when I got downstairs, so I grabbed a nearly black banana from the communal bin of fruit. I simultaneously sipped the leftovers of yesterday’s coffee… that is, until I saw a small, round, black body with 4 sets of immobile, upturned legs floating uncomfortably close to my lips. No more coffee for the Amy of Thursday. No more banana, either.

In class this morning, the homework I assigned the previous day (which, to my dismay, my professor later strongly advised the class against, saying it was a horrible homework activity) took much too long to go over, causing my lesson to crumble into insignificant morsels of learning. Ugh. Mediocre reviews this time, which was expected… but I was still bummed. I hate not being on top of my game.

The day dragged on endlessly, and class seemed to hold absolutely no interest for me today. During lunch (which couldn’t seem to come a moment too soon) a few of us went to a back street restaurant and got a 3.50 sol menu, which was unbelievable. For close to a dollar, I got a hearty bowl of soup, a chicken wing, a cup of rice rice, and a large potato. Makes me rethink those $.99 singles I inhale from iTunes. That’s one thing I just love about Peru: things are just too freakin cheap for their own good. Or mine.

Speaking of steals, I decided after class that I was going to go crazy get my haircut. When I found out that it was only 40 soles WITH highlights included (around 15 dollars), I decided, what the heck? Carpe Diem… and seize those bargains as well if you have an extra hand.

After 2 hours of sweet pampering by a man wearing ladies flared denim, I felt like a new person. The Amy of Thursday Afternoon. There’s nothing like a little ‘you’ time; I know ‘I’ definitely needed it.

Tomorrow, the Last Cusquenian Weekend begins. We have A LOT of things planned, most of which involve wine and food, pisco sours and 1 sol ice cream. I’m poised to thoroughly enjoy myself with no worries; I’ll be at my health spa of a home Wednesday afternoon!

I can’t believe how quickly this month has passed! My first South American experience was definitely a great one. The people here are so different from those of Europe or the United States. They are truly friendly. Cabbies, storeowners, and even random passer-bys take an interest in me, wishing me luck and happiness in life. The people at Maximo Nivel are awesome too. It is a really nice language institute, one that I hope my school in china mimics. I guess I’ll find out… in 3 WEEKS! AHH! That's something that Amy of 3-Weeks-From-Now will have to tell you about.

1 comment:

SnapScrapRepeat said...

Amy,

SOunds glorious being the Amy of Peru and I am glad that the Amy of France was able to make this journey. Can't wait to see your pics of Cusco. Maybe there will be some downtime for Amy-who-scrapbooks?