Thursday, September 4, 2008

The correct answer is: What is Quetua?

Today was a national strike day in Peru. Though there have been little demonstrations here and there, this was crazy! All of the shops were closed, and there was not a single car on the roads. Instead, a flood of pedestrians hit the streets around 9am and formed a huge moving body, pushing up Avenida el Sol with banners, signs, and banging drums. Sitting in our little TEFL classroom in the language institute, it took everything for us to concentrate. Albiet a bit frightening for a foreigner, it was also very exciting to see some real ´fight for change´ happening. We did get a chance to venture outside during lunch hour (climbing through a little doorway in the gate pulled over the entrance to the school) to see the protest. We retreated pretty quickly though; the police were coming up the sidewalks with thier tear gas, semi-automatics, and shields. I thought it prudent to disaffiliate from the uprising.

It should clear up before 6, leaving us free to pursure our favorite Wedsnesday activity, Pub Trivia! Monday night was the first Llama Yo Mama DOMINATION! We won by about 4 questions, due largely to some really lucky guesses. At first, we thought that we had tied with another group, but it was later discovered that they had changed a 3 to an 8 on thier score card. Scandalous! The prize was a nice bottle of wine (clearly, the cheating was worth it!), which we toasted off to sweet victory. These are some really fun nights! Especially when we WIN!

The TEFL course is starting to pick up a little. We have four observations due by friday, of which I have three done. It´s really interesting to watch the english classes here. I am quite excited to branch out and try a few things of my own!

Also, today we had a Quetua class for an hour to put us in our students shoes. Quetua is the language of the Incas, which still exists here in Peru. Our instructor only spoke Quetua, his mother tongue, to us, and we really did a great job of learning! There was no written system to the language, so when the spanish conquistadors invaded, the Incans adopted thier alphabet. Some things I learned were:

Imaynan kashanki? How are you?
Allinmi kashani, qanri? I am well, and you?
Noqapas. Me too
Iman sutiyki? What is your name?
Sutimi ______. My name is ______.
Maymantan kanki? Where are you from?
________ mantan kani. I am from _______.
oq, iskay, kinsa, tawa, piska 1,2,3,4,5
chunka pusayoa 19
iskay warancha piska panchaq kinsa chunka iskonniyoa 2538

So, YES I learned a lot. Not that I will remember that tomorrow, or even today (I used my copious notes to write that little bit) for that matter, but it was definatley fun. I love language, and now I can carry this bit of Peruvian culture with me. Kusa!

No comments: