Monday, September 29, 2008

Visas and Phone Calls, MATE!

It’s so funny what your body’s response is to some kind of drastic change in lifestyle.

For me, these past few days I have been incessantly tired, lazy, and a giddy sort of satisfied. I think that the shift from constant stimulation, parties, huge workload, and the rose-colored newness of travel to the soft comforts of familiar place and company (and the sun and splendor of tropical Miami) has caused my brain to shut down and simply float nonchalantly through the day.

Which isn’t such a bad thing. I have no real agenda, though I would love to scrapbook the heck out of my college years and finish reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. But, other than that, no real care in the world.

Well, that is a lie. I had a visa scare for the past couple days. The Chinese government apparently changed the law regarding new, incoming teachers; they are now required to have two years experience. Aston School, my future employer, spent a week convincing them that I was, in fact, awesome (their words, not mine… but, also mine). The government finally gave in to the obviousness of my très magnifique persona and decided to grant me entrance. However, the office was to be closed until the 7th due to public holiday, and to, afterwards, mail me the letter and for me to apply for the visa would certainly take much more time than I had. I would have had to stay in the US for an extra week, week and a half period.

However, last night I got a call from my correspondant at the school informing me that they had the letter in their hands! I should be able to leave on the projected date, baring any complications. Whew!

I also found out that I will be a full time sub, as I am starting very late in their semester. I will be living with an Australian girl, in the complex where most of the teachers live. Though I would have loved to have my own classes, I think this will help me to perfect on the fly instruction, improv-teaching, and experience a variety of the levels of English knowledge. AND in my free time, I can perfect my Australian accent. Win-win-win!

This weekend I got the chance to catch up with two of my best friends. Talking for a little over an hour each, I ran up our phone bill while listening to their sweet vocal melodies… accelerando due to the 4.5 month gap since our last conversation. One is still in college, and our conversation, though extremely fulfilling and laden with laughter, left me feeling reminiscent about those days. The other conversation was equally wonderful, but left me feeling, again, very reminiscent about that career I left behind; she is now a teacher at a suburban elementary. I really do miss teaching little kids, as well as the friends that I have made over the years. I know that, once I get this travel bug out of my system (which may take longer than anticipated!) I will return willingly to the profession I devoted myself to long ago.

Also, I got a sunburn from laying outside for an hour. Talk about Gringos. I should be their poster face. LAME.

No comments: