Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Mystical Forces of Hot Showers and Light Yogurt

Though starting my day dauntingly early at 5:30am, things immediately got off to a raving beginning.

6:00 – took a nice, long, hot, steamy, and, for lack of better adjectives, simply phenomenal shower. This might seem like an ordinary thing to most Americans, but let me be the first to tell you that, in Peru, it is not such a trivial matter. I haven’t had a hot shower, to say the least one with such amazing water pressure, in a very, very long time. The heat was even consistent throughout: none of those frequent freezing and scalding spurts in between. On a scale from 1 – 10, it was maybe a 58. I think I’m underestimating.

7:00 – went down to breakfast. Against all odds, there, on the table, illuminated by a ray of light with no visible earthly source, was LIGHT YOGURT, naturally flavored with Splenda. I almost DIED; I simply ADORE light yogurt, but the house NEVER has it. After downing 2 bowls in a dream like fixation, as well as 2 cups of coffee (ready made), I was SO READY to take on the world and solve every international crisis existing today. It was that good of a morning.

8:00 – taught a smooth, fun, and very successful class. This week, I’m teaching about quantifiers, like jar, box, carton, that kind of thing, and it has been pretty difficult for the students to grasp. Today, I felt like they just got it; the power of hot shower and the aura of light yogurt seems to infect bystanders with instantaneous understanding and comprehension. Note to self.

9:00 – Started class. Nothing special.

12:00 – took our lunch break. I had a sandwich with cheese, ketchup, and basil that was shockingly mind blowing; who’da thunk it? Afterwards, we went to get ice cream, and instead, ended up with Crema Sucena, which is apparently ‘Mother in Law’s Tongue’. Ironically, it was sweet and lovely. A chuckle in the gut.

1:00 – re-started class. Again, nothing special... although the phrase “ambiguous genitals” did surface at one point.

3:00 – got feedback from my professor about my lesson this morning, and it was GREAT. I could feel the light yogurt smiling down at me from it's perch in the cloudless, aquamarine sky.

3:15saved a child’s life. During my cab ride home (which is an ominous experience in Peru... but unavoidable should you happen to be wearing four inch heels), the driver slammed on the breaks so hard that I flew out of the seat, slammed into the back of the seat in front of me, and then crumpled onto the floor. While the driver cursed zealously, I pulled myself up to see a 3 year old standing a few inches from the front bumper, looking more impressed at how quickly the car had managed to stop than the fact that he was still alive and able to wonder at this. All I could think of was, thank GOODNESS I took that shower this morning.

3:20 – gave the cabbie a 5 and asked for change. He said he didn’t have any, and, when I said I didn’t have anything else, the change MAGICALLY appeared in his pocket. I’m telling you, it was freaky.

3:30 – was informed that there was now wireless internet in the house. And that’s what I’ll be doing this afternoon.

7:00 – dinner time! Yes, I realize that dinner is 3 hours from now, but tonight it is fettucini-something-or-other (that's literally what it says on the menu) with cake, so it definitely makes my list of today’s miraculous boons. The chef in my house is seriously a culinary deity from some other universe. The food is THAT good.

8:00PUB TRIVIA! No elaboration need. But, wine and friends. Also, wine. And friends. Learning stuff.

As they say in Peru, Ciao!

No comments: