Monday, November 23, 2015

Coconut Cupcakes With a Coconut Meringue Buttercream and Triple Citrus Curd

Oh, cupcakes. How I love thee.

I'd been dreaming of a coconut cupcake ever since the first cold day this year when I started dreaming about tropical vacations. And when one of my best friends decided to host a brunch, I knew I had to seize the opportunity to make my dreams come true! I have to bake for events, because I only bake for events, because if I bake only for myself I will eat every last bit. No good for that waistline I've been working so hard at maintaining!

Anyway, the brunch was so fun. My other bestie is an Arbonne consultant, so she was there promoting and educating us on the products. I use several of them, and have to say I see a big difference in my skin with this new skin care routine. I can hook you up if you're interested In hosting a facial party!

I'm so lucky to have these awesome ladies in my life. They not only put up with my quirks (I have several) but they are so supportive and kind and hilarious and fun... I could go on and on!




You'll definitely want to try out these cupcakes. Swiss meringue is my all time favorite buttercream, though I have not tried Italian meringue (although it seems quite similar so I assume it would be a tie)

The triple citrus curd is really out of this freezing, snow covered world. I used pomelo (finally! If you don't have one, you can easily use grapefruit), lime, and lemon. 


Topped with toasted coconut, they really were quite pretty. 



Coconut Cupcakes
Makes about 23 cupcakes

2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
6 egg whites, room temperature 
1 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together dry ingredients in your mixer. Add butter in tbsp chuncks until batter resembles a course dough. Combine wet ingredients, and whisk lightly. Add to dry ingredients, and mix on medium speed for two minutes or until light and fluffy. 

Divide into cupcake tins and bake for 15 to 18 minutes.

Coconut Swiss Meringue
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 large egg whites
3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup coconut milk 
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut

Heat the egg whites and sugar in a double boiler. When the mixture is warm to the touch, pour in mixer with a whisk attachment and beat on medium high for at least 10 minutes, or until the bowl is cool to the touch. Drop in butter tbsp by tbsp, being careful to incorporate after each one. Finally, add the vanilla and coconut milk slowly, and beat until mixture is fully incorporated and light and fluffy.

Toast the coconut in the oven at about 350°F for 5 to 10 minutes. Keep a close eye!

Triple Citrus Curd
1 stick unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh citrus juice (I ised 1/2 of my pomelo, 2 limes, and 2 lemons)
Pinch of salt
5 large egg yolks

First, prepare your citrus juice. Squeeze the juice of the fruits into a bowl, and then run them through a fine strainer or, as I did, a cheesecloth. 

Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Remove from heat and add in the citrus juice, sugar, and salt. Then add the egg yolks and whisk to combine. Return pan to medium heat, whisking constantly. 

Whisk for 10 to 12 minutes, or till curd thickens and reaches a temperature of about 165°F. Cover with plastic wrap directly over the center of the curd and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.

Preparation

Using a piping tip, remove a hole from the center of the cupcake. Pipe about 2 tbsp of the citrus curd into each cupcake. Top with the Coconut Swiss Meringue and toasted coconut!




No comments: