Sunday, November 15, 2015

Creamy Carrot Miso Soup

I usually try to eat healthy. I just feel so much better when I eat my five servings of fruits and vegetables a day and watch those sneaky added sugars (did you see Fed Up? Please do so we can talk about it!!)  My workouts are better, I feel better during the day, I sleep better, I have more energy… But there are times when I "fall off the wagon" so to speak and find myself eating junk for days straight. Which sometimes needs to happen every once a while to remind you why you make such an effort to eat well! 

That's happened past two days. Pizza, greasy tacos, pastries, and then last night's grilled cheese from a food truck (which was amazing... Duck bacon!) put me over the edge. I've been feeling awful since then! Aaaaand now I'm ready to focus my efforts once again on creating really delicious food that tastes amazing AND is makes me feel amazing. Cue this Sunday soup!

I love, love, love soup. I refuse to make it in the spring and summer months because I overdo it in the fall and winter. Soups are very easy, and they're great for weekday lunches too. 

I had some leftover miso paste that I decided to put to good use. Actually, I have A LOT of extra miso paste! The only grocery store and my vicinity that sold it sold the paste in a giant bag. Trust me, I looked everywhere. I even went about an hour out of my way to check out at Trader Joe's that I knew sold it… Only to find out it was discontinued! The whole ordeal was was worth it though. Miso paste has this amazing umami flavor that
 I love. And now that I have all this extra, I get to be more adventurous and try out different uses for the soybean paste. Win win!

There are actually a few different kinds of miso. I use white miso, which is the most common for cooking in soups. It's a little milder. I have never tasted the other ones... And until I can find them in a smaller container I won't be anytime soon. ;)


Creamy Carrot Miso Soup
Serves 4-6

6 large carrots, chopped
1 potato, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
Ginger (about 1 tbsp grated)
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
2-4 tbsp miso paste
1 can coconut milk 
1 tbsp coconut oil

Heat the coconut oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté the onions for 5 minutes until translucent. At the ginger and Cayenne and sauté for one more minute. 

Add the chopped potatoes and carrots and about 1 1/2 to 2 cups water. Cover the pot and bring it to a simmer. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the carrots and potatoes are soft one pierced with a fork.

Add the miso, a little at first until you get a feel for how salty it is. Blend the soup. Add the coconut milk and continue to blend until smooth. Taste checking for salt levels, adding more me so as you see fit. Salt and pepper to taste.

Eat and enjoy!

No comments: