Saturday, November 21, 2015

Wild Mushroom Soup with Honey Rosemary Biscuits

It's Friday. It's snowing. And freezing. And I'm exhausted from a long week. And I had a monster workout at the gym after work burning off all that residual stress. Do I need another excuse to stay in and snuggle up on the couch? No! I do what I want!

And what food would be perfect for an evening filled with a lovely Pinot Noir, Chopped, and my hubby and baby dog? SOUP! I know, I have made 3 different soups in the past 2 weeks. I can't get enough. But 'tis the season, y'all! It's such an awesome way to get those vegetables in, especially in this time of treats and sweets.

We LOVE mushrooms. Whenever I go grocery shopping with Kenny, he always shows up at the cart with a bunch of mushrooms and a twinkle in his eye, and I always end up making stuffed mushrooms when I get home. I have never made a mushroom soup before, however, and used my tried and true French Onion Soup recipie (coming soon!) as inspiration. 


The Honey Rosemary biscuits were an AWESOME find from Saveur [once again]. If you can't tell, I'm a huge fan of that site. I halved the recipie, which would have given me 3 "large biscuits" but it gave me 3 "ridiculously large biscuits". Kenny could only eat half of his, but I finished mine because I have an affinity for ridiculously large biscuits. Plus, the honey and the Rosemary was a beautiful pairing with the soup. Dip it right in there! Nom!

Wild Mushroom Soup
Serves 3

16 oz crimini mushrooms
4 oz Shitake mushrooms
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
3 slices of bacon
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 tsp fresh thyme
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup red wine
3 cups beef broth 
1 tsp worchestire sauce
1 cup whole milk
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 tbsp parsley, diced

First, in a large Dutch oven, fry the bacon over medium high heat. Remove the bacon when finished, and lower the heat to medium. Add the onions and carrots and sauté for 5-8 minutes. Add the all mushrooms, sliced, except for 3 crimini mushrooms. Sauté for about 5 minutes, and then add the thyme, garlic, and pepper flakes and sauté until fragrant. 

Add the red wine. Cook for 5-7 minutes. Add in the beef broth and bring to a bill. Lower heat and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes.

Blend. Stir in heated milk.

Take the 3 remaining mushrooms and dice them. Heat 1 tbsp butter in a pan and sauté the mushrooms for 5-7 minutes or until cooked. Add to a small bowl along with the chopped bacon and diced parsley. Mix and garnish soup. Enjoy with the (halved) biscuit recipie below!

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Honey-Buttermilk-Biscuits





No comments: