Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Mahi Mahi En Papillote (With a Sweet Chili Sesame Sauce)

Sitting here, enjoying my Blackstar Farms Pinot Noir rose, I'm feeling much better. Maybe it's the rose? I never really liked rose that much, only having tried the Zinfandel variety. However, this vineyard I visited on my recent trip to Traverse City had a Pinot Noir version and it is excellent! I might order myself a case!


Apparently, it's basically a Pinot Noir except they remove the skins a few hours into the fermentation process so the color is very light. It was a learning and drinking trip! If you can ever make it up to Traverse City, it's really worth the drive. Especially if you're a wino. Hear hear!

And what's that strange large green fruit in the background do you say? Why, it's a GIANT pomelo that I found at the grocery store. If I see something strange, I feel compelled to buy it. And trust me, I walked out of the grocery store with some strange things. The pomelo comes from Southeast Asia and is like a grapefruit (read: I blocked the aisle for a couple minutes while I went full nerd and researched produce). It could literally feed 4 people so I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with the whole thing yet! 

Sometimes, after a long day of work, I I am not in the mood for hours of cooking, and really look forward to a quick and easy dinner. Fish is one of my go-to quick week day meals, and this method of cooking is really spectacular. "En papillote" is French for in parchment. And that's how you cook your meal! Put your fish and vegetables and sauce together and parchment, seal it up, and bake.  Plus, it's kind of like opening up a present. Cooking dinner is always the best present to yourself, but this just takes it to another level in the literal sense!

There are endless possibilities, but this is one of my favorites.



Mahi Mahi En Papillote
Serves 2

2 fillets of mahi-mahi
1 small carrot
1 cup chopped cabbage
1 zucchini 
1 lemon
1 tsp olive oil
3/4 cup dry Isreali cous cous 
Parchment paper, cut into large circles

Sweet Chili Sesame Sauce
1/2 cupwater 
3 tbsp soy sauce 
2 tbsp sesame oil 
1 tbsp honey 
1/2 tsp chili powder 
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp Cilantro, minced
1 tbsp ginger, grated

First, preheat the oven to 375°F. Then, prepare your sauce. In a small saucepan, add all ingredients together and bring to a boil. Summer together for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.

Next, prepare your vegetables. Chop the cabbage, slice the zucchini in 1/4 inch rounds, after peeling your carrots, continue using the peeler to create thin ribbons of carrot. 

To prepare the pouch, first lay down the cabbage, then layer over the carrots and zucchini. Lay the fish on top and spoon sauce over. Seal up the pouch. Bake in oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

While the fishes baking, heat 1 cup water in a small saucepan to a boil. Add the couscous and simmer, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Squeeze half a lemon's worth of lemon juice and the olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.

Let the fish sit for about five minutes after you take it out of the oven. Place the pouch on a plate and let each person open and enjoy!



No comments: