Thursday, November 19, 2015

Jaozi (Potstickers) with a Spicy Chinese Eggplant

I know, I could have just said pot stickers... but now you know the Chinese word for these delicious dumplings! You're so smart and impressive.

I've been wanting to try these dumplings out for a long time. You know how something intimidates you a little bit so you just keep putting it off/ avoiding it? Well, that was me and jaozi (rhymes with yeow-zah). And that whole avoiding thing, that's something I'm trying to conquer. If I'm intimidated by something, I need to make a focused effort to do it! Not only does it feel amazing to do something you've been intimidated by, it also opens you up to grow more as a person. I'm all for it!

A couple days ago, one of the books the kids and I were reading mentioned Eleanor Roosevelt. They didn't know who she was, so we talked a little about who she was and then I looked up some of her famous quotes. I'd heard most of them before, but reading them in succession and really disecting their meaning and implications with the kids really got me fired up. She really was so inspirational. This one really sticks to me and was one of the reason I up and decided to conquer all my kitchen"fears".


So, jaozi! These are one of my favorite foods from China. I even got the chance to make them with the Chinese family, something I'll never forget. I blogged about it back in 2009 if you care to go look! 



I panfried mine, which was delicious, but I think I like them just the same boiled. If you're watching the calories, definitely go for the boiled version. I also use soy sauce to dip them, but I think I would've preferred a ponzu sauce. It's a lemony version of soy sauce and would've paired so well with the ginger overload that was these dumplings! I love the taste of ginger, especially fresh ginger. The ground version just does not have that same punch! 

You can really stuff them however you want. This recipe is enough for four people, or you can do like I did and make half, and freeze other half for another use. Additionally, I use store-bought wonton wrappers. You could definitely make your own pasta and cut it into rounds, but on this busy weekday that's not something I was interested in! They are in the freezer section of most grocery stores.

Also, the side of spicy Chinese eggplant is to die for! Kenny does not even like eggplant and he was crazy for the stuff!

Jaozi (Potstickers)
Serves 4 Hungry People

1 lb ground pork
1 cup finely chopped cabbage
1/2 cup Red onion, diced
4 oz mushrooms, chopped (I used Shitake) 
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1tsp siracha
4 cloves garlic
1/8 cup Ginger, diced
Wrappers, sometimes called wonton wrappers
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil if frying

But the first 9 ingredients into a large bowl and mix thoroughly. On your workspace, lay out the dumpling wrappers. You'll want to have a small bowl of water nearby to wet and seal the wrappers. Put a small spoonful of the filling inside each wrapper. Fold up in a half moon shape and seal with the water by pressing the edges together.

If frying, heat the oil in a skillet and fry 2 - 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. If boiling, boil water in a medium sauce pan and drop the dumplings in. When they are floating, which should take about two minutes, they are done.

Serve immediately with a side of soy  or Ponzu sauce.

Spicy Chinese Eggplant
Serves 3 - 4
(Modified from SAVEUR.com)

2 large Chinese egg plants, or about 8 ounces worth of eggplant
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup soy
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp Chinese Rice Wine, or Sherry, or White wine
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 generous tbsp honey
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp ginger, grated
4 green onions, sliced 

First, slice the eggplant into wedges. You can cook them in 1 to 2 ways. You can steam them over a steamer for 5 to 8 minutes, or you can toss them in a little olive oil and bake them at 375°F for about 10 minutes. I baked mine because I do not have a steamer.

Combine the water, soy, sesame oil, pepper flakes, honey, and wine together in a bowl.

In a skillet, heat a little oil over medium high heat. Sauté the garlic and fresh ginger until fragrant, about one minute. Add the baked eggplant and the sauce and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until your eggplant reaches the desired consistency. Serve with green onions and some jaozi!







No comments: