Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Favorites Week: Crispy Orange Beef

Favorites week continues! 

Since we don't have school tomorrow because of Veterens Day (Thank you for all that you do/ did!) this morning we were in high spirits. We're talking me singing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" while putting on mascara and Kenny snapping along to his own tune while looking in the fridge for breakfast. This possibly could have been the result of the new bag of Lavazza coffee I brewed as well- never under estimate what an amazing cup of coffee can do to your spirits!

This one was a request from Kenny; I had forgotten about it! It's a Chinese dish. I love, love Chinese food, especially the sauces. Reminds me of my time in Jinan! I miss being in China sometimes, especially the unpredictability of it all. Getting chased down the street because people thought I was Hermoine? Almost watching a women get intentionally squished by a bus driver in the bus door? Suddenly becoming the center of a massive paparazzi crowd taking my picture in front of the Forbidden City? Some serious everyday adventures in China!

Anyway, today's adventure was a little less exotic. We took Karma to the dog park by our house- she makes my back seat look so good.

 After that, favorites week continues! 

Crispy Orange Beef

This is a quick yet exceptional weeknight dinner. I follow the recipe here pretty closely (https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/7271-crispy-orange-beef).

I do make a couple changes, the first being that I fry the frozen beef in my cast iron skillet in about 3/4 cup oil. This way, the dish is not excessively oily, and it makes it a little healthier. The beef absorbs most of the 3/4 cup of oil, so you can just toss the peppers and peel in when you're done frying the beef and you are good to go. I also add more orange juice than it says, and let the sauce reduce for about 10 minutes to let the flavors deepen a little. I serve mine with rice and steamed broccoli. 

You'll love it! Making an appearance in your own Favorites Week soon...

No comments: