Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Food Poisoning, Bowser's Menacing Cackle, and Scrapbooking Band Together to Simultaneously Take Over My Life

Not that it was the first time, but I recently pulled through a pretty nasty bout of food poisoning. 

I have no idea what I ate, but MAN!  I wish I could travel back in time and pluck it straight off my completely bewildered past self's  tongue! Whatever it was, it has wreaked havoc on my body this past week. I ended up missing work Friday, Saturday, and, after attempting work on Sunday, had to leave early. Missing three days of work requires a trip to the hospital, so, before heading home Sunday, my roommate Anna (also ill), Smile (translator) and I stopped at the nearby hospital. 

This is the first time I have ever been in a Chinese hospital, and I hope it is my last. I don't like hospitals in general, but this was a whole other experience. Beds lined the freezing hallways, where patients were huddled in blankets, hooked up to IVs. Multiple family/ friends crowded onto the patients' bed for lack of seats, at the same time munching away on various foods. On one patient's IV stand, a sac of baozi hung from an adjuster knob. I was so mad at myself for forgetting my camera; the baozi on the IV drip would have made a fantastic shot! 

For those who do not know what baozi are, let me interrupt what I'm sure is a riveting tale and fill you in. Baozi, pronounced like 'bow-zah', sounds a whole lot like Bowser, which, in turn, is what I think of everytime I ask for one at the supermarket: the deep, evil laugh of Mario's nemisis echoing loudly in my mind. Baozi (Muah-ha-ha!) are steamed bread rolls stuffed with various things, from veggies to meat. 
They are a staple in every Chinese diet, and, subsequently, are quite tasty and very cheap. 

Anyways... back at the hospital, in an unexpectedly (un)thrilling turn of events, a swarthy doctor stepped our room and hit us with quick series of routine questions. Shortly after this completely unexciting interview, Anna and I grabbed our prescriptions from a small booth and got out of there. In total, it cost less than 50 yuan (7 dollars), and one hour of our precious time, to see a doctor and get medicine. Insane!

Besides resting and concentrating on getting better, life has been tugging quite nicely along in Jinan. I have been doing a lot of scrapbooking, and am intent on finishing the college years before I leave. It's funny scrapping past events, especially when you have had falling-outs and problems along the way. Take a look!
Anna and I are much better now, thank goodness. Last night, a couple people came over to our apartment for American Burger Night. I did not realize how much I missed burgers until this very moment. They are going on my list of 'Things I Must Immediately Eat Upon Returning to the USA". Even though the Chinese versions of the products were not up to par with their Savory American models, it was still a spectacular evening. 

I had bought a can of Bush's Baked Beans, but did not realize the battle that would quickly ensue. With a barely functioning can opener, the job could simply not be done. A few forks, several knife stabs, and a half our of frustration later, Anna managed to pry it open wide enough to pour the beans out. 

And, oh, they were tasty beans. Totally worth the blood, sweat, and tears of the whole ordeal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your scrapbooked pages look fabulousa. Super job. Good entry, amy! I'm glad you are feeling better. Mom.