Thursday, January 8, 2009

For a string of I-STRONGLY-DISLIKE-CHINA Days, take a few Tylenol and remind yourself you're only in the country for 2 more months.

Everything post-spectacular always seems a bit duller than it should.

Since returning from Shanghai, I've had a few I-STRONGLY-DISLIKE-China days. The candid picture snapping, the giggling at my white skin and blonde hair, the insane bikers who believe they alone possess every right-of-way known to mankind, the oppressing smog that hides the sun, and the pushing and shoving to do almost any mundane thing are simply annoying and completely uneccessary.

Booking our next trip to Chengdu during the Chinese new year holiday was an added frustration. After the original booking, we received messages saying our return flight was canceled. After learning we would recieve a refund in less than a month, we attempted to book another flight. The login pages on the chinese website was overtly obnoxious in refusing to remember our account information, which resulted in us having to create all new accounts. The next day, we recieved yet another message that our flight to Chengdu had been moved. Argh!

Today, I really felt like I wanted to go home. I think the frustration with the country has finally gotten to me. As my honeymoon-phase with China draws to a close, I'm slowly realizing it's not the best place for me to live. At least not Jinan, anyway. Beijing or Shanghai would be great, with their western atmosphere and large community of foreigners. Jinan is much too constrictive, for lack of a better word. 

Another thing that continues to draw my thoughts to home is the number of fun things that I have waiting for me there. One of my best friends is coming to visit me in Miami on the 7th, right after I return home. I haven't seen her in a year! We'll grab a hotel room on South Beach for the weekend and party on the warm, sandy shores. Shortly after, I have my cousin's bridal shower, among other wedding planning, of which I have been nominated "Bridal Shower Captain". It's always nice to be in charge of something, and see it smoothly through. My family is taking a trip to Washington D.C., in April; I have wanted to go for so long! May marks my cousin's Bachelorette Party, and in June the wedding. These next few months are jam-packed for me, and looking foward to every moment of it!

On top of that, escaping the smoggy, dim, overcrowded chill of Jinan to sunny, warm, Miami seems hardly insignificant. 

Don't get me wrong, I am still enjoying myself immensely here. I have made some good friends, and have a lot of things keeping me busy these days. I will be sad to leave, and will draw a lot of fond memories from my exeriences in China. However, sometimes a girl just need to sit poolside in her family's backyard for awhile. Countdown Bikini begins now!

2 comments:

SnapScrapRepeat said...

sorry to hear that the honeymoon is over. But glad to know that you still carry your optimism at your side.

So - Hey! We are trekking to DC in April, too! What week are you going? That would be hilarious to see you there! I've got an itinerary of cool new things to do there and my history nut of a son can't wait!

Ann said...

hang in there amy! We love you and know these experiences are lifetime memories for you! xxooxxoo
mom