Friday, December 18, 2009

Hiroshima ~ Peace on Earth

My trip started Friday, December 11th, when, after a long day of packing and cleaning (I won't be back until the morning of Sian's checkout), I headed to Tokyo to catch my first Sinkansen. With my perpetual fear of being late, I made it 2 hours early. To my dismay, I realized that there was nowhere but the plaform to wait. The evening air was chill, the seats like rocks, and the wind was unforgiving of my puntuality. I was nearly numb after sitting and reading [a great Haruki Murakami novel] for 2 hours, and was first in line to get into the train. Glancing out the window, I saw, literally 50 yards from where I had been freezing, a warm toasty, waiting room, linded with cusioned seats. FML!

At anyrate, the famous bullet train was warm enough to shake any lingering chill from my body. I sat in my wide, seat, legs extended to fill the expansive leg room provided, and listened to a varety of musical artist and styles as I shot through Central Honshu. Around me, Japanese men and women ate sushi and soba, as well as a plethora of other strange items, out of Bentos.

I arrived in Hiroshima around 11pm, and caught a tram to my Hostel. Hiroshima has a great system of trams. And, like everything in Japan, it runs precisely on time. This is something I love about this country.

My hostel was lovely. Typical to Japanese culture, I took off my shoes before entering. Slippers were provided, and I chatted to a rather rowdy group of male travelers as I completed my check-in process. I left them to their beer and chu-hai (a sugary alcoholic drink sold in cans at conveince stores) for a comfy bed and a good nights' sleep.

The next day, I met Sian around midday at the Atomic dome. This delapitated structure is very real -  so real that it is almost surreal. I think that's how it is with such famous monuments. Perched on the side of the river, it stands in stark contrast withthe modern buildings, well manicured gardens, and flashing lights of nearby pachinko parlors. It made my heart feel so heavy, standing there in the very spot where so much death, pain, destruction, and loss had taken place. Not only had this happened in recent history, but it happened because of MY country. We did this, and we we still do this.



The Peace park was next. The children's memorial was the most striking, bringing tears to my eyes. The story behind the memorial tells of a girl named Sadako, who was very young at the time of the bombing. Though surviving the bomb itself, she developed leukemia shortly thereafter from the radiation. Believing in the old addage that, in making 1000 origami cranes, the Tsumu (crane) would grant you a wish, Sadako began to fold. She died before she was able to complete her quota, but the mass of Japanese school children, then all of Japan, and then the world rose to help. The monument is surrounded by pavilions, all bulging with bundles of paper cranes. Around the park, piles of cranes adorn monuments. Sian and I each made one and set it on the memorial.



The Peace Museum was beautifully done. It placed no blame, but described the history of Hiroshima and the war with fair words.

After a long and sobering afternoon, Sian and I needed a break. We headed to Cusco Cafe, where I met some people from, you guessed it, Cusco! We chatted about the place, and it made me feel all warm inside. I had a pisco sour and a Cusquena beer to the health of all my Peruvian friends. Salud, amigos!

Aside from the obvious tourist attraction, Hiroshima i a really lovely city. It has a lot of entertainment, more quaint and personal than that of Tokyo, of course,  and plenty more to see. I visited Hiroshima Castle, where the ducks and ENORMOUS coy gathered around my shadow with surprising speed, most likely hoping for some food. There is a lot a lot of shopping, and may islands off the coast to visit. It was a wonderful weekend!

No comments: