Thursday, December 31, 2009

Osaka & Nara

I stayed in Osaka a total of 3 nights, mainly using this urban location as base camp for all of the interesting things I planned to see around it. Yes, it's clean, it's pretty, and the people are lovely, but, after Tokyo, it was simply boring. Been there, done that... 10 times bigger, better, brighter.

Anyhow, after my first night in Osaka, I took a train to Nara, an ancient capital of Japan. About a 15 minute walk from the station is the main tourist attraction - a huge forested area containing numerous temples, shrines, bell towers, museums, and even zoos. Nara is also famous for its deer, whch are plentiful, and rather brash. I was strongly reminded of dogs: that's how domesticated these animals were. Vendors lined the streets selling deer food (actually, there were more deer food for sale than human food!) and the deer hung around for just that. Their puppy-like eyes, with hidden agendas, followed everyone that walked by , searching for the tourist who was going to give in. For those that unwisely fed them, they were in for an unlucky surprise. The deer began to hound them, chasing them for more. This was absolutely hysterical to watch - people being chased by deer. I enjoyed my self immensely. I did not feed the deers.


Besides the obvious enjoyment of watching the deer, the scenery and temples were lovely. The most famous one there, Called Todai-ji temple, is the largest standing wooden structure, housing the largest indoor Buddha. It was really impressive! Buddha's hands are very symbolic as well : one is held out with its palm facing you, telling you to stop worrying. The other is slightly extended, palm upwards, as to say  that all your goals can be achieved.



I visited a few other temples, which were a nice relief from the crowds (of people, and deer!) hovering around Todai-ji. One temple had a beautiful view of the city. I walked around the area for awhile, soaking in the beautiful weather, and the feel of the forest. Its like there is magic in the air, the feeling you get in there forests. I love it.



That afternoon, I went to the well-known Namba area in Osaka. I didn't take any pictures. Neon light, karaoke, shopping - show me something new. In that arena, you can't beat Tokyo!

No comments: