Tuesday, December 22, 2009

MIyajima Island

Wednesday, I woke up bright and early to visit one of the famous Islands off the coast of Hiroshima, Miyajima. Actually, it was so early it wasn't even bright. It was pitch black as I hopped on the train. Reason being, the most beautiful time to view the famous "floating" O'Tori is at sunrise, high-tide.

This giant arch in the bay is supposed to be one of the most beautiful spots in japan. And it certainly was lovely, with a crowd of viewers at hight tide: 8:25am. There were many temples in the area, as well as wild deer roaming the streets. This was my first experience with deer in Japan, but certainly not my last!



Before leaving Hiroshima, I made the mandatory stop to try Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki. There was actually a whole floor of okonomiyaki restaurants in a huge building adjacent to the station. I made an easy choice (the first one outside the elevator door) and sat. Different than Tokyo, where you mix the batter and veggies yourself before baking it like a pancake, this one was layered. First, you cook a very thin type pancake, then pile on the veggies and pork, cooking the noodles separately. Then, you flip the noodles on the top of the veggie mess, add some delicious, anonymous 'brown' sauce, crack an egg on it, and voila! Hiroshima Style!


I had been taking to the chef throughout the process, telling him (in Japanese... I was so excited!) that I had only had okonomiyaki in Tokyo, and it had been much different. Afterwards, he asked me how it was. Truthfully, I answered, with a bit of a struggle due to the added pressure from curious onlookers, that "Hiroshima okonomiyaki is much more delicious than Tokyo okonomiyaki!" I realized I was holding a Starbucks cup, and with my American pride, held the cup aloft and declared," But, American coffee is the best!" Everyone laughed loudly (as the japanese always do, something I love about the culture) - including the dozen or so others who had been eavesdropping in earnest.

A small note here - the Japanese have a liking for eating raw egg. Now, I'll occasionally eat a raw eggs' worth of cookie dough, but thats as far s it goes. Here, they break an egg on top of noodles or rice and eat it as is. I saw a guy crack an egg, add some soy, pour it over maybe 1/2 a cup of rice, and drink the leftovers. Blaaagh! Though I did eat the raw egg on top of the okonomiyaki (... it did cook itself a bit with the heat from the pancake...), I don't think I'll make it a habit. All those old wives' tales about getting sick are too engrained in my brain. Maybe my mom just wanted more cookie dough for herself. Either way, I  just can't stomach it.

2 comments:

SnapScrapRepeat said...

I'm with you on the raw egg - although they are a staple to the Mexican licuado and I watch my son drink one each morning; I can't get past it either.

Here's to a swift trip home for the holidays. Can't wait to see some pics from Peace park!

Betsy said...

Hey Amy! I came across your blog a few months ago, and I love reading it. From one traveler to another, there is nothing more fun to write about than this.

The raw egg brought up a memory: while I was living in Spain I got sick with Strep Throat (we think). My señora, María, had all of these home remedies that she swore would help me get better quick. As my luck would have it, one such remedy was putting raw eggs in EVERYTHING I ate that week, from chocolate oatmeal to hot chocolate. Everytime I would raise that hot chocolate mug with its floating egg bits to my lips my mind would scream "Salmonella!".