Friday, January 27, 2012

#3 Today I learned...

1/27/12 - Today I learned that killer whales were the largest member of the dolphin family.

It was one of the last days of the semester, and, with little reason to introduce new material to the 8th graders, I decided to introduce them to one of my favorite things: Pub Trivia. Minus the pub, of course.

We divided into teams, and each team received an answer sheet. We completes 5 rounds of trivia, each themed. Science, Culture, Spanish, even Geography: Students had to number the given countries on a map. Americans are known for their poor geography - I was shocked at how few people knew where Greece was!

I did my research on random facts for the activity, and came up with quite a few interesting things I didn't know, one being the above mentioned fact on killer "whales". One of the things I love most about teaching is the fact that it not only keeps the students' learning, but yourself as well!

No comments: